Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help me please with this item.

Dodged the rain in Baltimore County today and dug this solid brass decorative piece.

Nice faint high tone and deep.

It appears to have been attached to leather as the two projections on the back look alot like bridle rivets.

My thought is that it was part of a saddle.

Ideas????

Thanks!

IMG_6479.JPGIMG_6478.JPGIMG_6481.JPG

If not horse tack, perhaps it served as a receiver to a T-shaped latch on a belt?

Last edited:
Thanks to those who liked and all who've viewed this post.

This one's a "stumper"!

Upvote 0
It definately is some sort of strap end, but your guess is as good as mine as to what it went to. Very cool find.

Upvote 0
Could be,I found 4 of the rivets at a farm about 2 months ago. They resemble a CW pack rivet but are shorter.

Upvote 0
Thanks creskol. The design does not look dissimilar to these medieval bronze strap ends.
brass strap ends.jpg

Upvote 0
Maybe from a saddlebag to strap down the flap?

Upvote 0
Nice find on the brass piece McCdig. Did you find this in an area where other CW Relics have been found?

Upvote 0
I have seen similar ones. I believe you are correct on horse tack. It comes in all sorts and sizes, and could even be from a saddle bag.

Upvote 0
Thanks devldog! Not sure about the history. This piece was dug in Baltimore Co., along the side of a baseball field, obviously an area that was bulldozed and recontoured. It was either part of the original landscape and got moved in the process, or may have brought it will an fill dirt that may have been added, certainly not an undisturbed piece of land.

Upvote 0
Thanks smokey. The shape intrigues me. The tip is shows obvious wear as if it were getting particular wear at that point.

Upvote 0
Thanks cudamark! That receiver end of the piece has me thinking it matched with another piece of brass. This was the first time for me hunting this ball field so maybe more deep targets will start to tell the story of its past.

Upvote 0
It may have also gone on an old horse saddle.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back