🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Possible Revolutionary War Pewter Button? NC or SC 3rd Regiment?

ArmoredOut

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2023
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Hi everyone. I am new to metal detecting and to this forum, but am glad I found it! Attached are pics of a what I believe to be a pewter button from the mid to late 1700's just based off of browsing the internet. I found it last week in what today is Union County, NC, but at that time was upper north west Anson County, right near the Mecklenburg County, NC line. I apologize for not having a measurement of the button to share, but will get that to you all this evening.

There appears to be a 3 on the face of the button, but it is very hard to make out for the most part. It could be another marking that is so worn off that it appears that way also. The area I found the button in was NC 3rd Regiment territory at the time. I found the button about 4 inches down in the ground in the middle of the forest just outside of Mint Hill, NC. Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_4170.jpg
    IMG_4170.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4172.jpg
    IMG_4172.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4173.jpg
    IMG_4173.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4174.jpg
    IMG_4174.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4176.jpg
    IMG_4176.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 45
Thank you very much! That first 'Dating Buttons' chart is what I found last night, and narrowed the button I have in question down with. From the chart, I believe it falls either under C (1760-1790) or E (1750-1812). Hopefully someone with some expertise in this time period will narrow it down. Thanks again!

Upvote 3
I agree that it is very old. From its rather crude appearance, hole in the top and mold marks on the back, it could have been cast at home rather than made in a factory. I think I see a crown on the front, above an emblem of some sort. I suggest checking military buttons from the Revolutionary period to see if you can find a match or a clue.

Upvote 3
I agree that it is very old. From its rather crude appearance, hole in the top and mold marks on the back, it could have been cast at home rather than made in a factory. I think I see a crown on the front, above an emblem of some sort. I suggest checking military buttons from the Revolutionary period to see if you can find a match or a clue.
Thank you for the feedback. In different lights I see new top designs everytime it seems like. I did not consider a possible homemade button. Thanks.

Upvote 2
The button seems to be right around 3/4 of an inch across.

Attachments

• IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Upvote 2
In my opinion it's 1700s-early 1800s I don't see anything on the face of the button that makes me think military . you should think about conservation of the button before it crumbles into dust ,dug . pewter is not very stable and the button is already cracking up

Upvote 3
In my opinion it's 1700s-early 1800s I don't see anything on the face of the button that makes me think military . you should think about conservation of the button before it crumbles into dust ,dug . pewter is not very stable and the button is already cracking up
Thank you for the input. I plan to preserve it this weekend. The 50/50 clear glue and water seems to be the go to from what I keep reading.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back