Possible Memorial Cent error?

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
My daughter and I have been CRH'ing $25.00 boxes of pennies lately and it has been a lot of fun for both of us. We're in Southern Utah, so there's not much doing as far as hunting silvers, so Wheaties are the name of the game. Anyhow, my little girl pulled a zincer with what looks like a perfectly melted hole over the date. It's not very deep, but it's white in the center. The Googles led me to believe it could be a lamination error, but I've learned that The Googles can be misleading...

Anyhow, who better to ask than my fellow treasure freaks? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

image_zpsfj3dfx2p.jpg

image_zpsh0sblfvy.jpg

image_zpsxvy7nsrf.jpg

Yeah, just a plating bubble that burst. Come down to our salt water beaches....you can find a zillion of them! Any kind of flaw in the outer copper coating and the zinc underneath corrodes and expands.

Upvote 0
A lot of the zincs that I find with a metal detector have corrosion damage similar to that, and worse. I dump them in the banks coin counter, and most of them go through. I get them back in circulation that way.

Upvote 0
It looks like zinc rot, it just means that some of the zinc is corroding away and coming through the plating, not an error, worth aprox. one cent on today's current market.

Upvote 0
The copper version was actually minted from '59 to the middle of '82 when they switched over to the copper plated zinc.

Upvote 0
Are you sure?... I'll have to look at my collection when I get home.

Upvote 0
I know what a copper cent looks, feels, smells and taste like compared to a zinc cent, I guess my year is off as is yours, cheers, ):
What years are copper pennies?
All Lincoln cents minted before 1982 are 95% copper, except for 1943 when they were made of steel.

What is the last year of the copper penny?

The first copper plated zinc (U.S.) cents were struck at the end of 1981 and dated 1982. The mints continued to make some copper (bronze or brass, actually) pennies for a year… (MORE)
What years are copper pennies

More information:
Should You Hoard Copper Pennies? Reasons To Save Every Copper Penny You Find | The Fun Times Guide to U.S. Coins

The copper version was actually minted from '59 to the middle of '82 when they switched over to the copper plated zinc.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back