tbuchana

May 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 121
Can you put something next to it and reshoot for a sense of scale? Also any idea what the metal might be? Most metal fittings on bridles and harness would be pretty much made of iron or steel. Fancier stuff like parade or show tack was/is often silver in terms of the fittings.

Upvote 0
Sorry i should have thought about that. Here are a couple more pictures.IMG_0153.JPGIMG_0154.JPG

Upvote 0
I believe it's a strap junction...and yes horse related.

SS

Upvote 0
Thanks, I thought that it was possibly part of a Horse Bridle and I forgot to mention that my Grand Father (who also lived on the property) was a Black Smith and made everything from Custom Carriages to farm tools, and even various house hold items. Now i just need to get an idea of the possible date, which if is something that he made (or forged) himself then there is no way to get a good date (maybe a range).

Upvote 0
It does look like a strap junction, esp for heavy horses. Last time I saw strap junctions that size was when I was working with a team of horse loggers. And of course blacksmiths are amazing at making anything out of iron, would be cool if it was something your grandpa made.

Upvote 0
It was use on work horse harness. The little pin that sticks up replaces a buckle to adjust the length of a strap. I can't say exactly where on
harness where your find was used, but the picture shows something like yours at number 32, and there is possibly another at the top of the
rump at number 20. Not saying your grandpa didn't make it, but it probably came with the purchased harness.
harness.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back