✅ SOLVED Possible (fake) copper Maravedis?

CitadelGrad08

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2014
Pacific NW
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello! I am new to Treasure Net and coin collecting. Recently I have started collecting Spanish coins (mainly shipwrecks and cobs) and I picked up this small coin because it was labeled as a Spanish 4 Maradevis from Carlos II era of 1665-1700. Upon looking at various online sites I have yet to find a Maravedis with similar markings and worry I bought a fake.

The coin is roughly the size of a US penny. I can make out the letters C A and numbers 94 on one side that appears next to some sort of shield or crest which looks to be a castle. On the other side there appears to be another shield around a lion.

It appears to be copper, but is more shiny than I expected for being such an old coin. The reason I believe it is a fake is that all of the Maravedis I have seen have different markings next the shields on both sides. Also the seller labeled it as a 4 Maravedis but it looks closer to a 2 Maravedis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did not spend a lot of money on this, but it would be reassuring if it is real and not a fake.

copper4.JPGcopper3.JPGcopper2.JPGcopper.JPG

welcome to tnet !!I look forward tou the experts chiming in.my simple guess and observation is that even the cracks look cast and edge looks abraded to remove cast markings.I know nothing of this particular coin and my observations are general.

cheers

Upvote 0
welcome to tnet !!I look forward tou the experts chiming in.my simple guess and observation is that even the cracks look cast and edge looks abraded to remove cast markings.I know nothing of this particular coin and my observations are general.

cheers

Thank you for the initial thoughts. Lets hope I wasn't duped!

Upvote 0
My first reaction is real.. I doubt they would make fake ones as they are not worth much. Yours however appears to be a nice one.

Post it in the Spanish Cob section for more info.

Upvote 0
The shiny look to the copper just makes me think it was cleaned. Looks like some shipwreck copper coins I've seen.

Upvote 0
Yes it looks as if it was cleaned. I cant ID it for you but if its a fake, it a very good one because it looks great to me. It even has a date.

Upvote 0
Well that makes me feel a little better. I am still waiting to see if someone IDs it over in the Spanish Cob section. I guess my main concern was that date next to the shield and castle seemed "off." Anyway thank you all for your help!

Upvote 0
Most definitely genuine--- just cleaned with brasso or something is all. These are not particularly valuable monetary-wise, but have lots of historical value. From ground finds we know these came over to 17th century Florida, possibly even California when the Spanish were exploring that coast.

Upvote 0
I retract my original observation.I simply dont feel confident in it at this point.I am in no way an expert at all but am concerned that I cant find an exact match.perhaps it was from one of the far flung colonies.cant wait to learn more.please let us know if you find anything difinitive anywhere else.

cheers

Upvote 0
Looks good to me, the copper from this period all look different, because it depends how many times they have been counterstruck.

Upvote 0
Most definitely genuine--- just cleaned with brasso or something is all. These are not particularly valuable monetary-wise, but have lots of historical value. From ground finds we know these came over to 17th century Florida, possibly even California when the Spanish were exploring that coast.

I am confident enough to mark this as SOLVED. I'm not worried about a resale because I bought this for the historical value, I plan to display it with some of my other pieces I have recently acquired. Thank you for the help and info!

Upvote 0
As someone stated these coppers all look different. The castle looks great. Maybe Mackaydon can help. Hes good at coins.

Upvote 0
I'm assuming the '94' is 1694.

Upvote 0
Is this the one you purchased on etsy?

Attachments

• marevedi carlos II.jpg
    marevedi carlos II.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0
Yes that is the one, they stand by the authenticity of their products. I just happen to see it because my wife is on there all the time!
Because its the same one, there is nothing mysterious about that. Im not very familiar with coppers but if they are hand stamped and/or cut, no two will be exactly the same.

Because they are not highly priced, I cannot see anybody manufacturing such a high quality fake/reproduction. It looks great, castle, lion, date and all!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back