1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
Nice shape but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything on it. I will bump it back to the top for you though.

Not sure what that could be. Does not look like it was chewed by an animal. Maybe Larson will have some thoughts on it. He is the bone man!

thanks guys. hopefully someone with more insight than i have on these will contribute. the more i examine it the more it looks like an artifact. stone ones are just so much easier to tell.

Could be a tool for net weaving.

Not sure what that could be. Does not look like it was chewed by an animal. Maybe Larson will have some thoughts on it. He is the bone man!

I'm hoping to get some insight on it. I know some bone artifacts have been found in the area, but none that I have seen are a match. You are correct that there are no chew marks on it, but the sides do feel like they've been ground to an edge. The base also looks carved or ground out as well.

There really isn't a lot of contrast in the pictures to see the edge or the work. It almost looks too irregular to be a bone point, most of them are either really well made or fairly simple strait sided pins.

Gator, it does kind of look like a shuttle, but Natives up there weren't weaving cotton/wool in prehistoric times. There was a very significant number of historic and industrial age looms and mills up there, but they probably wouldn't be using small bone tools.

I was thinking cordage net for fishing

I don't think its a point its to long. Bone awl most likely. Nice save!!!

i think it is almost surely a bone utensil of some kind but that is all i can say....i would have saved it also

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back