Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a few of these over the years at old homesites but only recently began to wonder what they were used for. Any idea? Rolled (but not soldered) copper tube, comes to a sharp point, and always has that 90 degree bend. Not sure, but that may not be dirt inside the tube. Feels more like it may be some sort of fiber when I try to scrape it out with a toothpick.

bvfCMsd.jpg

[Added these additional photos on April 8]

(The longest portion is 2 1/2" long, the bent point is 1" long)

NTWlel1.jpg xvdNSR9.jpg hFrQkid.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me, to be broken part of a frame for a purse.

Upvote 0
And since you are in Minnesota, it would be good to know what was found in the area. The native Americans traded for brass and made them into cones to be used as ornaments, called tinkle cones. They went along the same lines as what bowwinkles posted, but the newer ones made for modern jewelry bolo ties are not solid brass. I think it's an 18th century Indian tinkle cone.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have seen these also and maybe u r correct. A big cat fish can bend one fairly easily.
Highly doubtful. This was miles from a fishing hole, and catfishing isn't that big a deal in Minnesota. I don't believe it ever has been.

Upvote 0
I was originally thinking native too but the fact there are fibers makes me lean more towards a rope finial or a stringer. Maybe the rope was fed through something then the end was hammered over to secure it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's the top portion of a lighting rod?

Dave

Attachments

• whiteny-plantation-freemans-church-lightning-rod-detail-in-wallace-louisiana-michael-hoard-crop.jpg
    whiteny-plantation-freemans-church-lightning-rod-detail-in-wallace-louisiana-michael-hoard-crop.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 5232041957baf.image.jpg
    5232041957baf.image.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Lightning-Rod-Tips-Points.jpg
    Lightning-Rod-Tips-Points.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
Highly doubtful. This was miles from a fishing hole, and catfishing isn't that big a deal in Minnesota. I don't believe it ever has been.

Wow, how about that, one of those out of state catfish fishermen dropped his stringer out of his air pane.:laughing7:

Upvote 0
Wow, how about that, one of those out of state catfish fishermen dropped his stringer out of his air pane.:laughing7:

I've found at least two with that 90 degree bend, so... two out of state catfish fishermen dropped their stringers out of "air panes".

Upvote 0
I think it's the top portion of a lighting rod?

Dave

That is certainly possible but I think this is a bit small, and also that right-angle seems to me to be deliberate, especially since I've found two like that. Not ready to mark this "Solved" yet.

Upvote 0
I added some more pictures and measurements to the first post. Details of the pointy end and the stuff inside the tube.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is certainly possible but I think this is a bit small, and also that right-angle seems to me to be deliberate, especially since I've found two like that. Not ready to mark this "Solved" yet.

Are one of those bent at 90 and the other bent at a 45 degree?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That angle looks defiantly purposely bent, so ??
Fish stringers are straight on the end of the rope or chain.
I don't think it wouldn't be part of a lightning rod because it would need to be all metal and interconnected, so ??
Did you find both in the same area?
Have you determined what the material is on the inside?

Upvote 0
Are one of those bent at 90 and the other bent at a 45 degree?

Unfortunately, I only have the one. I found the other one earlier this year in an entirely different spot. Threw it away as junk. It wasn't until I found another that made me realize it was a deliberate thing.

Upvote 0
And since you are in Minnesota, it would be good to know what was found in the area. The native Americans traded for brass and made them into cones to be used as ornaments, called tinkle cones. They went along the same lines as what bowwinkles posted, but the newer ones made for modern jewelry bolo ties are not solid brass. I think it's an 18th century Indian tinkle cone.

And, copper, being a bit softer than brass, sounded differently and was easier to work.
Maybe visiting local University and/or Museum to see any manufacturing similarities, that are
typical of local Native Americans

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back