Point info wanted. First find of my life. Front range Colorado

arrowseeker

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious on tribe origin and age and anything else that can be shared. Thanks so much
IMG_4029.jpeg
IMG_4029.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4030.jpeg
    IMG_4030.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4029.jpeg
    IMG_4029.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 25
Upvote 13
looks like a Grand/hopewell/gibson/pelican lake, I’m not sure what it’s called in Colorado, can’t find that, but if it’s a woodland point then it’s not necessarily associated with a tribe. If you go back far enough in time and people are identified by the form of the tools in their kit. Like Clovis for example, Florida Clovis people likely had little to do with Washington Clovis people as far as a tribal identity but they share a point form

Last edited:
looks like a Grand/hopewell/gibson/pelican lake, I’m not sure what it’s called in Colorado, can’t find that, but if it’s a woodland point then it’s not necessarily associated with a tribe. If you go back far enough in time and people are identified by the form of the tools in their kit. Like Clovis for example, Florida Clovis people likely had little to do with Washington Clovis people as far as a tribal identity but they share a point form
Thanks ! Any thoughts on age ?

You’re right on that, it gets confusing when I’m doing my Kansas research because the eastern third tends to follow woodland/Mississippian periods and the western 2/3rd use plains and ceramic divisions and they do start later as you go west

I guess in my mind I was thinking it sure looks like an eastern type point I was wandering if it had came east by trade but I don’t know Colorado point types so the more likely answer is a western type with a similar form. Whatever you want to name the period many of the points with that form cluster 3,000-1,000 years ago… not to be confused with bc… another fun flip flop that you have to keep an eye on when reading dates in research

It has everything going for it. Nice shape and color. But I’m having problems finding it in the state you gave. Maybe tell us how you found it and if it was a waterway or what?
Found front range of Colorado. Walking a creek. It was higher up about 20 feet from the water. In a washout area in the willows

Nice find. What county was it found. I found a little site that's yielded a few finds here on the front range of Boulder county. No complete arrowheads though, but did find a nice mano stone. That tan color material is common one artifacts are produced from all over Colorado I've found mostly east of the Rockies. I think artifacts made of that tan material is found all the way east to western Kansas and Oklahoma. I'm not sure of where it primarily comes from, but pieces of it I've found all over a vast area of the high plains country all the way up to the headwaters of the Arkansas.

Attachments

• IMG_20170906_121149.jpg
    IMG_20170906_121149.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back