Pleeeeeze Help with new detctor!

A nice simple detector would be a 300-400 dollar whites or garrett detector. Are you selling the 20 year old whites. If you are, I might like to buy. Matt

Screech,
I am no expert but you would be better off staying away from some of these unknown brands, instead focus on one of the more name brand units. Determine how much you want to spend, then what exactly do you plan to search for. Diffrent situtations call for diffrent kinds of machines. There are lots of good detectors out there, and everyone has their favorites. For instance we prefer machines that are light very senstive to small gold and dont have target ID meters, where as others couldnt live without their id meters. Thats why Im saying figure out the above things and go from there
hh

dave+bobbie

Check out the new Tesoro Cibola for $340. It is a new top of the line detector(no Tesoro does not sell on Kellyco). It has gotten rave reviews from users. For the money you will not find a deeper detector. Go to one of the Tesoro forums and check out the reviews.

By the way I agree with Dave stay with the major brands Whites, Minelab,Fisher, Garrett,Tesoro, Troy

George

Do your self a favor and stay away from detectors with names like MPX, Treasure Hunter, Treasure Tracker, Famous Trails, etc. Buy from one of the following (in no particular order)
White's, Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro, and Bounty Hunter. Be carefull on e-Bay, there is a ton of junk detectors mixed in with the legit brands.

I see that you're wanting a simple detector. The above name brands are all good. Only you know what you want in a detector such as prospecting, coins, relics, or just a general purpose. You might look at the following site and read the reviews:? http://www.metaldetectorreviews.net/index.shtml Keep in mind they're showing retail prices and you can find better prices.
Welcome and Happy Hunting.

3 Words Garret Ace 250 ..........................199.95 at kellyco.I own one and they work great.

I second that for the Garrett ACE250! I just started using my new ACE250 and it is head and shoulders better than my Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 was. It is very sensitive, simple to use, lightweight and affordable at $199.00, and you should be able to get them to throw in a carry bag, pouch, headphones and a good MDing book or two. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me! I am looking for a general purpose detector and you gave some great suggestions!

Where is the best place/price to get the Tesoro Cibola

Most Tesoro dealers will be pretty close to one another in price. The competitive price is $340. Just punch the Tesoro icon on the first page of Treasurenet and then go to dealers or http://www.tesoro.com/dealerus.html . Other online dealers can be looked at by punching Tesoro Cibola on Google.

For the life of me I can not understand why newbies would consider a unheard of or no brand detector for$300 when this killer is available for about the same price.

George

Hmmm! Newbie here...detector is suppose to arrive today, hopefully!

I chose the Titan 3000xd...1) It is made by 1st Texas which makes all the Bounty Hunters, which get great reviews. 2) It does the gold/coin/relics. This way I won't have to upgrade any time soon. 3) It does land/water (up to the box), so it would be great for the lake beaches here in Minnesota. It has large numbers for easy reading for us blind bats and is lightweight.

Did I make the wrong choice? :o

http://aardvarkdetectors.com/texas/fiteti30.html

Again, Thanks for the great advice! I just ordered 3 of the Tesoro Cibola's! 1 is mine and 2 friends could not resist this deal. Buying 3 we got them for $325 each delivered and ball caps to boot!!! ;D ;D ;D

Will be at Post Office Thursday!!!

Thanks again, we can't wait!!! ;D ;D ;D

seablue said:
Hmmm! Newbie here...detector is suppose to arrive today, hopefully!

I chose the Titan 3000xd...1) It is made by 1st Texas which makes all the Bounty Hunters, which get great reviews. 2) It does the gold/coin/relics. This way I won't have to upgrade any time soon. 3) It does land/water (up to the box), so it would be great for the lake beaches here in Minnesota. It has large numbers for easy reading for us blind bats and is lightweight.

Did I make the wrong choice? :o

http://aardvarkdetectors.com/texas/fiteti30.html

No, you didn't make a bad choice. 1st Texas makes machines that compete with the other major manufactures. You will find your share of items for sure. My uncle uses a Bounty Hunter and he has found enough jewelry in the last few years to open his own jewelry shop. Just learn your machine and it won't disappoint.

jimmyokla said:
3 Words Garret Ace 250 ..........................199.95 at kellyco.I own one and they work great.

So would that be Garrett Ace Twofiddy? ;D

I got an MPx for Christmas and didn't like it. On 4 outings I didn't find so much as a coin in an area where I have picked up a bunch of clad since. I traded it back to Kellyco for a BH of equal value with similar freebies. The MPx is made in China and good luck if you need parts.

Screech Congrats on the Tesoro's sounds like a great deal and looking forward to your storys and opinions on using it. Dont forget us all here. Also it sounds like you already have some huntin partners so thats great too.

Screech Congrats on the Tesoro's sounds like a great deal and looking forward to your storys and opinions on using it. Dont forget us all here. Also it sounds like you already have some huntin partners so thats great too.

I work at a USAF Station here in Maine with 1 other person. The station consists of several thousand acres of old farm lands. There are dozens of old stone walls and we are trying to figure out where the buildings were. We have found several cellar holes with stone foundations. We have not metal detected any of these yet. Hopefully the Tesoro's will be here today ;D

Thanks to everyone for your help!

AFB in Maine? Where are you exactly. I used to live in that area and I can say the history is rich and the homes are old. I demoed an old school house by Rockport that was built in the 1700S and found in four jars with quarters and nickels and dimes all none later than 1936. My boss at the time took them and said they were his and that was the last of the cache i ever saw. didn't matter to me much at the time but as I got older I always wished I had spoke up and said something but I was just happy to be working then. I was just a skibum and winter was bad so I had to actually work.LOL Let us know if you research some history of the area.

Check out Tesoro i have a minelab but Tesoro has some nice machines! Good Luck! Harvey!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back