Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2015
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2:
A couple of nights ago, my son Ben and I were detecting a field where we found several interesting finds last fall. I was going across the center of the field, and got a hit. When we dug this item up (see photo) it was encrusted in what appeared to be calcium. We were able to clean it up and bit. It appears to be lead. Any idea what this might be? We have some ideas, but are curious to hear your thoughts! Thanks!! Weight.jpg

WHat kind of Field. Location? Was the crust white? How white? THe whiter it is the older it is. I would assume that the "calcium" was Lead oxidation

I have seen this type of seal before but my mind is not clicking on it. Someone here knows what it is.

Cheers

Upvote 0
The field is currently used for hay - probably about 6-10 AC, bordered by woods on left and back, stone wall and another field (20-30 acres) on the right, and dirt road on the front. Based on our other finds, we think there may have been a home on it in the early to mid 1800's. (we found a handle from a porringer by Robert Bush in this field also). It's located on a remote, dead end dirt road in Vermont. The crust was white, completely coated. Not a bright, bright white, but a light creamy white. Hadn't thought of that, but it probably was lead oxidation. We had not thought of it as a seal either, but that makes sense. I was thinking it may have been a weight of some sort, but will research the seal idea a bit. THANKS!!

Upvote 0
Me thinks that looks like a curtain, drapery, or hem weight.

Upvote 0
Me thinks that looks like a curtain, drapery, or hem weight.

Interesting. The thought had crossed my mind about a drapery weight/pull. That would make sense. I have looked for images on google, but none look quite like this.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back