Please help us ID this fur trade item-1830-1840-Montana

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last weekend my buddy found this....at an 1830-1840 montana fur trade fort. It looks forged and very familiar but I cannot place it where I've seen before and the use. The spike tapers to a very pointed tip which looks to have been bent by farm implement some time ago. The other end has a bend and appears to be made like that. Also, this end transitions from a four side spike to a round segment. It came from a location where the fort was situated and other forged metal was uncovered. Thanks so much
IMG_2609.jpgIMG_2608.jpgIMG_2607.jpgIMG_2606.jpgIMG_2604.jpgIMG_2610.jpg

My guess is it was an awl for leather of something soft (pelt?). The tang on the other end was probably for a wooden handle. Just a guess. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really don't know but it's a fur trade sight, right?

If I had to guess I'd say it's a stake to keep trapped furry animals from running away with the trap.

Upvote 0
It is a fort dated 1833 to 1844 when they moved on and it was burned by the Indians. The land has never been inhabited or built on, so all targets pertain to that era. Just curious about this piece. Thanks for the teply

Upvote 0
images.jpg masons tool left by a relic hunter years ago , still looks like cement on it.

Upvote 0
lightning rod tip?

Upvote 0
It part of a hinge for a gate. The long pointy part would be driven into wood and the other part would support the door.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back