Please help identify various stone tools

JJN

Mar 23, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some pestles which I recently acquired on eBay that were taken from the emeryville shell mound during its' systematic destruction in the early 20th century. Several slipped by that I missed over the years, but I am happy to find them and passionate about "recovering" cultural material taken from local sites. I plan on donating these to the local Ohlones hopefully to be put on display. I also have a couple finds from a construction site of a park that was converted to condos that look very different than anything i've ever seen. One is large and round with a very dark patina. I think it was probably a pestle made from rhyolite or basalt, but it's hard to tell. One side flattened and tips rounded. Looks well polished. The second is was I believe to be a large hammerstone or pecking tool. One side has a slight depression, while the other is well rounded. Since the natives tended to have multi-purpose tools, I'd go on a limb and guess it was also used as a nutting stone and possibly, a pestle as well. Looks like andesite, and appears highly polished with peck marks all over it.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge that I, can confirm or dispute my assumptions. Any thoughts welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
Pestles-
2ymanev.jpg

6sujk5.jpg

#1-
s1qd7k.jpg

16hryo9.jpg

ra5myb.jpg

1z21vt3.jpg

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum.
First two could be a pestles of some sort. The last one looks like it could have done some grinding. Nothing definitive I can see.

Nice saves your assumptions are right on . I remember those mounds from my youth my father worked at the steel mill in Emeryville .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back