Attachments

• 030902 Whatsit 1a.jpg
    030902 Whatsit 1a.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 030902 Whatsit 1b.jpg
    030902 Whatsit 1b.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 560
Re: Please help identify this.

Pretty sure it's a button but can't make out the markings on the back from the pic. If you can get at least a partial description of the writing on the back PBK will ID it for you in about 2.7 seconds.

Upvote 0

Looks as if it might be a c. 1820-40 quality backmark: "FINE GOLD COLOUR" or something similar, referring to the gilt finish.

As Savant says, try posting the legible lettering and take a guess at the rest. If it turns out to be a maker's name rather than a quality mark, we may be able to date it fairly accurately.

Upvote 0

Try this
I think after looking at a larger image it says coin or gold or goin on the lower pic

top word FIN all I can see
and lower word
GOIN>>>COIN>>>>GOLD hard to tell

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0

Coin Shooter said:
I dug it up at an old house in 2003 and never found anyone around here that knew what it was. Any help is much appreciated.

CS
does it seem heavy to you for its size.

cause it looks like it says fine gold

Upvote 0

Here are some better quality pics. It sure looks a lot like the pic from MJ.

One thing that has me wandering about it being a button is that it is perfectly flat, of course I don’t know about buttons at all, they my have been flat at that time (showing my ignorance here) but at the same time learning a lot of stuff on this forum.

Many thanks to all the very knowledgeable people here who are willing to share their knowledge so others like myself may learn from it.
CS

Attachments

• Unidentified 01.jpg
    Unidentified 01.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 285
  • Unidentified 02.jpg
    Unidentified 02.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Unidentified 03.jpg
    Unidentified 03.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Unidentified 04.jpg
    Unidentified 04.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 271
Upvote 0
Re: Please help identify this. Now with Better Pics.

I's a civilian gilt button of the early 1800's and bears traces of what appears to be a quality backmark. Many of these were quite flat.

Upvote 0
Re: Please help identify this. Now with Better Pics.

I’ll file it away as, “a civilian gilt button of the early 1800's and bears traces of what appears to be a quality backmark.” Per PBK.

Thanks very much, CS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back