244.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4750.jpeg
    IMG_4750.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4751.jpeg
    IMG_4751.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 6
The first one, I don't know. The next 2 look like classic hammer stones.
Could be multi tools including hammer stone. The grey one is odd being flat. No Omars here so it’s altered just confused for what purpose. Nutting stone would crush the stone

We find pitted stones like that around here often. Some are pitted on one side, some on both. I think they were more of an anvil rather than hammerstone. We find these out on the prairie sites where there were no trees. I really doubt they are nutting stones. Arkies claim they are for bipolar reduction of small tough chert nodules. Place nod in pocket and smash with hammerstone to obtain usable flakes. I’m skeptical of that but don’t know their real purpose.

Could that first one be a Talc-Schist material i.e. a type of soap stone?

In N. Cal, cupules in soapstone were the result of ceremonial or medicine rituals. The dust generated from pounding or grinding the stone was used to make it rain or improve fertility.

Not exactly a hard durable stone.

Last edited:
Could that first one be a Talc-Schist material i.e. a type of soap stone?

In N. Cal, cupules in soapstone were the result of ceremonial or medicine rituals. The dust generated from pounding or grinding the stone was used to make it rain or improve fertility.

Not exactly a hard durable stone.
Doesn’t feel greasy like soapstone more chalky texture like schist

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back