Pistol my dad found long ago

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hey everyone! I have been busy cleaning my finds, and going digging. I was going to go out today but it decided to snow :( So I guess I have some time to clean my finds and put another post up soon.

I forgot to post this after my trip back to the states for xmas. I was taking pictures of my gun/bayonet collection and I remember this old pistol my dad found. My dad found this in Colorado(i think) on a field back in the 70s. He passed away a few years ago so I don't have much info on it. I know that he and my grandmother tried to get info on it via the serial number on the brass part, but I guess colt had a fire a long time ago that destoryed a lot of records. If anyone can give me info let me know :) I have another pistol that is just like it, that wasn't found in the dirt. They look about the same. When I get back to the states it will prob look better after electryolsis. Thanks for looking! I will be posting some cannonball pieces and another disarmed grenade here soon.

Here is a picture of the pistol. I don't know how old it is. Looks like it used black powder.
sized1.jpg

He is another pistol I own that looks like it.
sized2.jpg

tis but but I'm sure you knew that right away if you own and shoot one. Seems to be on the pattern of the Patterson Colt. That factory today is an apartment house for retired and low income people by the way in Patterson NJ believe its called Colt Arms

looks like the spring for the firing mechanism was rusted and eaten away over the years. Not surprised.

Upvote 0
Well, after my dad passed away I was given the collection. I never fired any of these weapons. I just knew the pistols were colts, but I don't know the age of them or the model. But, thanks for the info :) The only weapons I know about are from ww1 and ww2 :) I'm a newbie on the other stuff.

Upvote 0
The other one prob is a repo.. the repo one had some ships engraved on the chamber.. thanks for the info! I wish the dug up one was in better shape. I wonder how it ended up in a field? I figured someone was on a horse and it fell out while travling. Thanks again for the info!!

Upvote 0
Great find and super picture/story - thanks for sharing.

Night Stalker...

Upvote 0
Hi Viper,

I have an 1860 it's my favorite shooter of all the pistolas I own. This model has great balance and I like the lines. The one that was found looks like someone may have used it to clobber something or someone from the look of the trigger guard.

Thanks for the interesting post now I want to get mine out and go a shootin.

OB

Upvote 0
I also grew up in Paterson, N.J. Been past the old colt factory many times. If that is a Paterson colt you found. You might want to visit the museum there. They have plenty examples of the Paterson colt.

Upvote 0
Ah a patterson colt. Cool! At least I know what it is. I never noticed that on the trigger guard before.. it is rather dented. Ive only seen that pistol a couple times. Thanks for the info everyone! :)

Upvote 0
Viper,

I had an afterthought about the found colt. It would be interesting to me to know if any of the cylinders were fired or unfired.

OB

Upvote 0
OldBillinUT said:
Viper,

I had an afterthought about the found colt. It would be interesting to me to know if any of the cylinders were fired or unfired.

OB

The cylinders that I saw appeared to be fired.. thats the first thing I checked. At least they appeared to be fired. The pistol is kind of rusty, as you can see :( I didn't see any percussion caps on the rear of the cylinders. I don't know much about these OLD weapons. My dad just saw it, no metal detector or anything like that. Could of been a farmers maybe?? Its a pretty cool piece of history thats for sure :)

Upvote 0
viper771 said:
The other one prob is a repo.. the repo one had some ships engraved on the chamber.. thanks for the info! I wish the dug up one was in better shape. I wonder how it ended up in a field? I figured someone was on a horse and it fell out while travling. Thanks again for the info!!

Might have a look at this site... http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/CC/lnc1.html You might not have a repo gun...

COLT REVOLVERS. The first practical revolving-cylinder handgun was invented in 1831 by Samuel Colt of Hartford, Connecticut, and patented on February 25, 1836, the year of the Texas Revolution.qv Texas became a proving ground and nearly the only market for Colt's revolutionary product. Colt provided the struggling republic and frontier state with the increased firepower necessary to defend and advance itself. Colt revolvers were manufactured first in 1837 at Paterson, New Jersey, by the Patent Arms Manufacturing Company. Three principal variations of these five-shot Paterson Colt handguns were produced: the .28 caliber Pocket model, the .31 caliber Belt model, and the .36 caliber Holster model. The Republic of Texasqv ordered 180 of the .36 caliber Holster model revolvers for its navy in August 1839. Numbers of these rather delicate arms were issued to various Texas warships and served well in engagements against Mexico over the next four years. Colt was so pleased by the Texas purchase and with the performance of his product that he engraved the scene of the victorious naval battle fought off Campeche on May 16, 1843, by the Texas Navyqv on the cylinders of the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, and 1861 Navy model Colts (in all, nearly 500,000 revolvers).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back