Pirates treasure Help?

Vasseur81

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning all thought I'd post up this pendent that I inherited from my grandmother many years ago. My grandmother passed away when I was a baby so not sure exactly where is got it from but from what I was told it was part of a pirates treasure that was found on an island off the coast of Africa. Does anyone have any ideas of its origin???
Thanks

Attachments

• image-2879031584.jpg
    image-2879031584.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image-457989433.jpg
    image-457989433.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 206
He asked for an opinion and I gave one. Why is that snide? All the jewelry I've seen that had stones mounted with bend over tabs have been costume stuff. If it's 24K gold, it seems to me it would bend too easily for that type of design. Like I said, if this is a genuine antique gold pendant, I'm going to have to look a lot closer to some of the stuff I find. Silver Searcher thought it was costume too but only I get flamed?? I didn't see YOU adding anything positive to the conversation so maybe you'd better follow your own advice.

I didn't what? Not worth it.

Upvote 0
Wait! What treasure chest that got dug up? Where? When?

The seed beads around the inset pieces remind me of Indian jewelry. I couldn't find anything exactly like it, though.
I'm thinking along the line of Indian Polki Kundan Enamel jewelry. I can't be real certain though.
Do keep us posted as to what you find out! Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
That's not costume looks around 100 to 150 years old to me, very nice work though the insets are close to perfect for being hand done! You have a nice piece of gold jewelry buddy rather its from a pirate chest or not!! Lol good luck

Upvote 0
Some times it's hard to except that your piece is not what you first thought, the clues are in the item itself. It's been machined stamped from brass.

SS

Upvote 0
This thread is very interesting. There is no clear consensus as to whether it's old or new, costume, or valuable, gold or other metals,etc...

I don't have any real experience with jewelry but the bent over tabs made me think it was costume jewelry as well. I am looking forward to an update from the OP once they get another appraisal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been looking at stuff for a long time also, Metal Detecting 25+ years and tend to agree
with the "costume jewelry" hypothesis.
Although I do not have these items in hand, I know that when it comes to Gold, and even more so 24k Gold, craftsmen
did not put things together in such a way that they appeared to be of poor quality... (hollowed back, with bent over metal clasps to hold these in place) even without holding it my hands the quality looks like costume jewelry. Many pieces were
made of gold colored aluminum, pressed into a shape which gives the hollowed back. I've dug similar pieces, and these are extremely light weight. (hence aluminum) when you see gold in Jewelry all places that are put together are soldered solid
I see no soldering here. I do not believe anyone is attempting to insult this person, I do not know him. Just saying it does
not have the look of "old age" or "quality" to make anyone believe it is more that just costume....
I'm sorry... that's what they say.... it is what it is...

Upvote 0
I've been looking at stuff for a long time also, Metal Detecting 25+ years and tend to agree
with the "costume jewelry" hypothesis.
Although I do not have these items in hand, I know that when it comes to Gold, and even more so 24k Gold, craftsmen
did not put things together in such a way that they appeared to be of poor quality... (hollowed back, with bent over metal clasps to hold these in place) even without holding it my hands the quality looks like costume jewelry. .

I can relate to that with the gold... Costume jewelry dates back pretty far and in the 1920s they used a-lot of Aluminum to make costume jewelry and other products (machine stamped). So when you say "nothing but costume jewelry" what date frame are you thinking because there are examples of similar costume jewelry from the 1920s-1940s which is fairly "old" considering the 1920s is almost 100 years now..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a close up of the stones. The middle one is painted but the other are actual stones cut put on it. There was one missing (the top one) when I got it so had that green stone put in to fill the gap.

why green and not a red, what is the weight and size,and are the fold over tabs soldered to the base

Upvote 0
The whole thing is soldered together except for the glass pieces as far as I can tell. It's not machine stamped as a whole. Look at the small beads/balls between the comma looking pieces and how much space is between them and the point where the "commas" come together. The resulting space between them makes a triangle. This is different sizes. Other things are slightly off, indicating that is is hand made. The positioning of the sets of 4 balls at the ends, the slight differences in the shapes of the "comma" pieces, etc...

Upvote 0
I definitely think you need to get a certified gemologist who specializes in antique jewelry to look at this piece. It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the real deal to me.

Very nice inheritance piece :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
I was looking through some internet videos on YouTube last night and I came across this in a video of some of "TreasureNets best past finds" if you go to 1:10 in the video you will see the exact same piece? It was posted in 2008 and the artifact in question is the videos cover-photo!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back