Pirates treasure Help?

Vasseur81

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning all thought I'd post up this pendent that I inherited from my grandmother many years ago. My grandmother passed away when I was a baby so not sure exactly where is got it from but from what I was told it was part of a pirates treasure that was found on an island off the coast of Africa. Does anyone have any ideas of its origin???
Thanks

Attachments

• image-2879031584.jpg
    image-2879031584.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 203
  • image-457989433.jpg
    image-457989433.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 206
any tiny markings on the clasp? are those small stones or enamel work....it could easily be a found piece as your family lore suggests, but pirate treasure?....on what basis? nice, pretty piece, very semetrical, no real "crudeness" to it.

Upvote 0
It looks like costume Jewelry, and not very old....sorry :unhappysmiley:

SS

Upvote 0
There is no marking that I can see but it us hand made as I have brought it to a antique appraiser and he told me it was very old and 24 carrot gold. The stones are gold with painted designs on it. Not sure what they painted it but he did say they used to do and thinks its Spanish. I was told that it was one of many pieces that was found in a chest that was dug up. My sister also has a gold locket that was part of it too. My grandmother got it about 80 years ago but it is about over 200 yrs old according to the antique appraiser

Upvote 0
I guess I'm going to have to look closer at yard sale jewelry......looks like cheap costume stuff to me.....

Upvote 0
... a antique appraiser and he told me it was very old and 24 carrot gold.

I would get a new appraiser. Though it may not be 24k gold and 200 years old, I am sure that it has a lot of sentimental value to you. I would just but it away for safekeeping and not ask too many questions.
HH

Upvote 0
I guess I'm going to have to look closer at yard sale jewelry......looks like cheap costume stuff to me.....

Yes in future maybe you should. I guess that's just your option and you have the right to share it but let me assure you it is not custom jewelry. Maybe if you saw it close up you would think differently.
I will take it some where else for appraisal next wk and let you all know

Upvote 0
Looks old and handmade to me. The different pieces are very symmetrical but not exactly alike, meaning skilled craftsman. I thought that was venetian glass in it at first. Nice piece, hope you get good news about it.

Upvote 0
I agree with Cheese that it is old... These are the artifacts you have to pay real close attention to... Some Jewelry may look like it is some cheap costume jewelry!! when in fact it can be centuries old. I have found 18th-19th c. jewelry quite often at yard & estate sales that were sold to me as modern jewelry and come find out it wasn't modern. Non-dug jewelry and jewelry in period can be very tricky!! if you don't know what to look for. I have been fooled a few of times by jewelry pieces. I like the fact you stated the stones are gold and painted designs on it. This is just something that has to be looked off-line - you really can't make a judgement with this piece with out looking at it better with hands on - imo.. To me it doesn't look like something that came outta the ground but more as if it was passed down to one another. My guess would be 100-150 years old but that is only me - Get a 2nd appraisal on it if you can it is always good to have two opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I will check all that out and ask the antique guy about it. In going to someone else so should get another perspective to what I have been told. Keep you posted

Upvote 0

Why the snide remark? It is obviously something he treasures from a Grandparent past. It is people like you and your comments that are making people not want to post. If you have nothing nice to say, keep it zipped shut!

Upvote 0
can you give us a very focused close up of the stones?

Upvote 0
There is no marking that I can see but it us hand made as I have brought it to a antique appraiser and he told me it was very old and 24 carrot gold. The stones are gold with painted designs on it. Not sure what they painted it but he did say they used to do and thinks its Spanish. I was told that it was one of many pieces that was found in a chest that was dug up. My sister also has a gold locket that was part of it too. My grandmother got it about 80 years ago but it is about over 200 yrs old according to the antique appraiser

are you sure the stones are painted, i enlarged to me they dont look painted
do you have the missing stone nice looking piece

gma pendant.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a close up of the stones. The middle one is painted but the other are actual stones cut put on it. There was one missing (the top one) when I got it so had that green stone put in to fill the gap.

Attachments

• image-1706300840.jpg
    image-1706300840.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image-4044515246.jpg
    image-4044515246.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
The stones make me think Italian but I have to agree that if it was much more than 100 years old, I would be surprised.

Upvote 0
i don't think that is painted, i think it is enamel work

Upvote 0
Why the snide remark? It is obviously something he treasures from a Grandparent past. It is people like you and your comments that are making people not want to post. If you have nothing nice to say, keep it zipped shut!
He asked for an opinion and I gave one. Why is that snide? All the jewelry I've seen that had stones mounted with bend over tabs have been costume stuff. If it's 24K gold, it seems to me it would bend too easily for that type of design. Like I said, if this is a genuine antique gold pendant, I'm going to have to look a lot closer to some of the stuff I find. Silver Searcher thought it was costume too but only I get flamed?? I didn't see YOU adding anything positive to the conversation so maybe you'd better follow your own advice.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back