Pine tree coin 1652 real or fake

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm cleaning this house out with my ten year old son. We are in the basement and my son finds a boxes with some coins in it. I look in the box and there is a pine tree coin. I know from being on TNet.com a little about them. Now I'm not sure if its real or not, if I found it in the ground I'd be pretty sure it was real. He are some pics of it. If its real he wants half!! Lol

Attachments

• image-2256108306.jpg
    image-2256108306.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,318
  • image-2973992860.jpg
    image-2973992860.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,486
I found one of these recently... the weight is perfect, the thickness is perfect at around 1.1mm, and the markings perfect. BUT it was too shiny to be old silver with a gold tint to it ... and looked plated to my eyes (exactly like the photo in this thread)... A very close examination uncovered "COPY" stamped along the edge of the coin (where you would feel the grooves on a quarter). The letters were clipped and you could only see the bottom half of the C, O, P, and Y, but there it was, only visible with magnification.

Just wanted to share this just in case someone else finds one! Yes I was just as disappointed.

Upvote 0
image.jpg

Got this one at the Concord battlefield gift shop, pot metal

Upvote 0
I say we pass this coin around tnet to people who hunt with partners and one of them seeds it for the other, for that wow moment and the dance. then once they find out its fake pass it on to another tnetter so we can all have the excitement of finding a pine tree if only briefly..lol

Upvote 0
I’ll drop it on Hampton beach next summer and see if it makes the news

Upvote 0
I say we pass this coin around tnet to people who hunt with partners and one of them seeds it for the other, for that wow moment and the dance. then once they find out its fake pass it on to another tnetter so we can all have the excitement of finding a pine tree if only briefly..lol

I have some of those fake Spanish coins from KellyCo for that exactly scenario. Going to spray it lightly with brown spray paint so it looks like years of buildup over the "gold".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back