AAA7Z.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 33
  • COMPOSITE.JPG
    COMPOSITE.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 33
  • MARTYMA1.png
    MARTYMA1.png
    713.9 KB · Views: 33
I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 Martin's in the wild. I managed to photograph one some time ago and posted on here.
I got one fleeting glimpse of one when I lived in the Oregon Cascades and that was the only one ever in the wild.
I read somewhere when I first started camera trapping that you have to think like a landscape photographer and fur trapper combined. I regrettably was a fur trapper for many years but the experience helps in this new hobby.

Thanks Tp!.. No strictly manual focus along with all other camera and flash settings. Auto focus would be hunting all over at night or very low light. So just manually focus on the target area and hope the critters cooperate.
Impressive, well done!

Awesome pics Ron. Clearly, your trapping experience has paid off in your ability to determine proper set locations.

Blackfoot: Martin are in the same family as weasels, mink, otters, wolverines, etc.

I got one fleeting glimpse of one when I lived in the Oregon Cascades and that was the only one ever in the wild.
I read somewhere when I first started camera trapping that you have to think like a landscape photographer and fur trapper combined. I regrettably was a fur trapper for many years but the experience helps in this new hobby.
Looking back it was actually a weasel I captured a photo of. I saw it run towards a cottonwood tree and I thought it vanished. Looking up the trunk of the tree I spotted it then keeping eyes on me.

Attachments

• IMG_20170909_052851.jpg
    IMG_20170909_052851.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Looking back it was actually a weasel I captured a photo of. I saw it run towards a cottonwood tree and I thought it vanished. Looking up the trunk of the tree I spotted it then keeping eyes on me.

Yep, that are a weasel....
moose.gif

Like Ron, I've often thought about making a baited set, just as if I was trapping, however instead of a trap I'd set up a game camera nearby. It'd be interesting to see how many assorted critters would investigate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back