pewter shaker

onlylar

Feb 2, 2007
Northwest NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher
found this salt or pepper shaker on the shore of the Delaware near some old ruins in Frenchtown. Looks pewter. What period is it, can anyone tell ?

Update: Thanks to Troy,,,who did a little research for me, he found the identical shaker on Ebay, and it is a Spice Shaker,,Scroll down to see the pic and the link. Thankyou Troy

Attachments

• saltshaker2.jpg
    saltshaker2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 553
  • saltshakertop.jpg
    saltshakertop.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 378
  • saltshakerbottom.jpg
    saltshakerbottom.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 374
Are their any markings on the bottom? Let's see a photo of the top. Pewter was used extensively in America from 1620 to about the mid 1800s I believe. It was known as the "poor man's silver" because it was more expensive than tin but less expensive than silver.

Upvote 0
Are you sure its for pepper or salt? Up until Victorian times ,salt was kept in an open salt cellar and pepper was ground. The early shakers for salt had a little arm inside to break up the clodded salt.

Is there anyway we could see a better pic and are there any markings on it?
Nice find

Upvote 0
Didnt they used to sprinkle sand on the fresh ink when they wrote something? Maybe it was a sand shaker???
idk

Upvote 0
1dirtyknee said:
Didnt they used to sprinkle sand on the fresh ink when they wrote something? Maybe it was a sand shaker???
idk
;)

Upvote 0

You may be on to something.

Yes, they used to sprinkle powder or sand on wet ink to help it dry.

By the mid-nineteenth century they replaced the sand shaker for a blotter.

Can we see a picture of the holes in the top?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks for the additional pics.

I still think sand shaker. I was looking for a flat top with a raised rim as well as large holes (larger than a salt shaker). The rim and large holes allowed excess sand to be poured from the paper back into the shaker.

Difficult to date but I think you can assume mid-1800's at the latest.

Nice piece. I'd use it as a salt shaker!

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back