Petroglyphs found near Las Vegas

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was metal detecting an area near a wash and found some old lead bullets. And then this rock caught my eye so I picked it up;) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458170682.717603.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458170726.523159.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458170767.294382.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458170817.601434.jpgpe

Upvote 0
Interesting. :icon_thumright:

Gollum- I was detecting on my families property. Not that that even matters since i thought the rock was a meteorite at first so I put it in my pack. Since I was metal detecting I didn't have time to clean it and stuff like that. It was only when I flew back home and gave it a good cleaning that I realized there were markings on it. Thanks for the info though!

Thanks guys, I think it's pretty cool
Too.
Question- I have tried looking up the markings meaning and the only thing that came close was either - "war from the sky" "fire from the sky" and nothing else. Any info on it would be appreciated. Good luck hunting!

A quote from the link Gollum posted:
"ARPA excludes coins, bullets, unworked minerals, and rocks, unless they are found in direct physical relationship with another archaeological resource; arrowheads found on the surface (defined as any projectile point designed for use with an arrow, 43 C.F.R. § 7.3(5)(b) (2010); items found on private lands; and items in one's lawful possession prior to October 31, 1979. 16 U.S.C. § 470kk (2009)."

Looks like you're in the clear, cool find!

I would of never of seen that probably, never thought to look for them before even though it does show graphics on it most of it looks to be a natural flint cobble. Probably just me but I think they used rocks like that to post their land as to what tribe was there like a property line marker so to speak. Very neat find

VERY NICE find for sure,,,
Even better now that it was on private property.
I would for sure be back there doing some kinda survey or gridding where ya found that stuff.
Looks very ancient, and it's pretty evident that some of it was from a much larger sculpture.
Maybe you are on to something amigo.
Whatever you do,,DO NOT CALL THE SMITHSONIAN,,, We ALL know how that will END up right?
HAHAHA

Oxbowbarefoot,

First: The OP did not say if it was public or private land.

Second: ARPA has been used to prosecute people for items found on Private Land. I don't know all the details of those cases, but I know they have happened.

Mrdigz,

1. Title of thread is "Petroglyphs found near Las Vegas"

2. No mention of meteorite is made.

3. No mention of private land is made.

4. All the pics of the object are taken in your kitchen (unless the stove is in your den HAHAHA)

So, from reading your initial post, all I can take from that is that you found a petroglyph near Las Vegas and took it home. My response was based only on that. Should have been a little more descriptive in your initial post. HAHAHA

Look, I go places I'm not supposed to go. I just have an issue with Native Stuff being removed from where it originally was. It also has to do with treasure hunting. Spanish sometimes mimicked Native Petroglyphs to hide their own directions and meanings. Markers before and after usually show them to be Spanish. Removing or defacing a petroglyph could drastically alter its meaning. Also, treasure hunters have a very bad rap from Archaeologists for this very reason. When we remove native items from the original site, we lose all the context of that site the item represents. Sometimes it means nothing. Sometimes it means a lot. In New Mexico, there was a guy named Doc Perrick. He was a nutty treasure hunter that believed every petroglyph was a Spanish Treasure Sign. So, every time he would find a petroglyph, he would take a picture, mark the spot on a map, then blow up the petroglyph with dynamite. Hundreds of Native Petroglyphs were destroyed by him alone. Research a little thing called "Bloody Hands". It was a Native Panel of red handprints nearby to Victorio Peak, NM. It was blown up by someone.

I don't assume you are a D-Bag. It was either that or you just saw a cool little rock with art, and you took it home not knowing the laws. Happens all the time. Just look at how many rocks are taken from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, then sent back because they bring VERY bad luck. That little rock may have been a native trail marker. A small rock placed near a fork in a trail to show which way to go to water (maybe), or a place to hunt or sleep. Now, because of YOU, a bunch of poor Indians are now wandering around lost near Las Vegas! HAHAHA

Take Care - Mike

Gollum @ " treasure net police"

Geez I can't believe I have drama on treasure net lol lmfao... Listen, I understand that there are many people who deface, steal and completely destroy Native American artifacts. My title read "Petroglyph found near Las Vegas" because that's where I found it!!! I didn't think I had to say where, when, how, who and what when I wrote a title. You just "assumed" I did something illegal and tried calling me out on it. If you thought that was the case then you should have Private Messaged me and I would of given you any detail you wanted to know. You "assumed" I was doing something wrong without any proof. This should be a site where people are able to share experiences and knowledge without having someone try to sucker punch them. " unless they deserve it" hahaha
ALSO - you just said you go places that your not supposed to go on so I'm confused.

Gollum is correct. The government has gone after people for private land finds on many occasions. They usually usually use a combination of laws and statutes to try and build a case. He's also correct that treasure hunters get a bad wrap from archaeologists, which is not always undeserved. He's also correct that the original post was missing some details that could have negated the need to mention possible legality issues. I don't think he was trying to be insulting, condescending or rude in any way, I think he was being helpful. In no way was I trying to stir up drama or point out a fault in his post. I am thankful that he put the link, because it's been a while since I've read the law. I simply found the quote from the post to be useful in resolving any misunderstanding that could have ensued.

That said, it's also important to recognize that surface finds from streams, beaches, plowed fields, etc.. Are already out of context, archaeologically speaking. This doesn't mean they are not scientifically valuable, just that the extent of scientific information that could be gained is limited. Surface finds are quickly damaged by wind blown dust and sand, rain, biological action (mechanical & chrmical), air and light.

Last edited:
Oxbowbarefoot - I also appreciate information concerning the laws pertaining to all things treasure related.
Gollum sounds like he knows his stuff and that's awesome. Many people do no not.
All I'm saying is that the message definitely came across rude and was unnecessary just because I didn't post every detail of my find.

He writes - " the fact that you took what you think are petroglyphs home is very telling." What I took away from that statement was that I took something of historic significance illegally and could care less. Using the word "telling" is a passive aggressive attack on my character and moral code. Then I'm provided with a link to read the laws which he's assuming I broke. Whatever I can't go back an forth about this.
GOLLUM - no hard feelings, lets just get back to why we are here. Good luck hunting everyone!!

Considering that it is a petroglyph on a rock, I gotta wonder if it
was an early form of long distance communication...aka: a letter.

Chisel out your message on a stone, and have traders carry it
from one tribe to another. No idea what those markings mean,
but wouldn't it be great if it translated to:

"Poker party Friday night..my cave".....
moose.gif~original

Last edited:
That's friggin funny haha!!

Oxbowbarefoot - I also appreciate information concerning the laws pertaining to all things treasure related.
Gollum sounds like he knows his stuff and that's awesome. Many people do no not.
All I'm saying is that the message definitely came across rude and was unnecessary just because I didn't post every detail of my find.

He writes - " the fact that you took what you think are petroglyphs home is very telling." What I took away from that statement was that I took something of historic significance illegally and could care less. Using the word "telling" is a passive aggressive attack on my character and moral code. Then I'm provided with a link to read the laws which he's assuming I broke. Whatever I can't go back an forth about this.
GOLLUM - no hard feelings, lets just get back to why we are here. Good luck hunting everyone!!

I completely agree. Kudos for handling this guy the way you did, not sure I would have been so polite. Cool find, good luck finding more cool stuff on your family property.

Thanks, since I live on Long Island I try to plan trips to Nevada once a year. I always come home with some cool MD finds a little bit of gold in my pocket. My daughter is turning 4 soon and she's well on her way to joining the family past time!!! Thank god she enjoys the hobby:):)
In Which gives my wife time to go prospecting the malls for overpriced crap to buy;)

Thank again and good luck!

I have seen that symbol before and it may be a play off a modern day cross. The gentleman who has info on that is banned from this site so I dont post links. As for laws and folks gettinto trouble. I am glad Gollum shared and you folks should try to always obey the laws when it comes to colecting. I could understand why you found it to be a meteorite. That is my goto phrase, I am always meteorite hunting wink wink. But as a rule I do not take things home, I do not want to live in a museum. That sign if it is a symbol dates back to the times of Egypt if I am correct.

I have seen that symbol before and it may be a play off a modern day cross. The gentleman who has info on that is banned from this site so I dont post links. As for laws and folks gettinto trouble. I am glad Gollum shared and you folks should try to always obey the laws when it comes to colecting. I could understand why you found it to be a meteorite. That is my goto phrase, I am always meteorite hunting wink wink. But as a rule I do not take things home, I do not want to live in a museum. That sign if it is a symbol dates back to the times of Egypt if I am correct.

Have you read the entire thread? He said he found it on family property. You wouldn't pick something up you found in your own front yard?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back