pestle of unknown origin

MassHunter

Sep 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this pestle recently at a yard sale among a box of other old wooden items. I am looking to find out what part of the country it came from and\or what tribe(s) may have used one like this. It is a very hard, black stone. I dont know what type. The horn is presumably bison or buffalo. Any thoughts, or comments?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_13791663874800520.jpg
    FB_IMG_13791663874800520.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 88
The stone part may be authentic but the cow/steer horn(not Bison)is new and would serve absolutly no function on there

Upvote 0
Very interesting......couple things though.....Bison horn is Black,and all they had until the white man came was Bison.With the coming of the White man,stone tools were quickly phased out....not to mention any Indian found with any part of a Bovine would be readily killed.I wont say its not possible but again I can see no purpose

Upvote 0
....in actuallality I am speaking about the west....I have no idea about the contact period of back east

My functionality concern still exists however :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Every thing kuger said is true, yours is the first I've ever seen, and the one on the web page, I take with a grain of salt. There are a lot of hoax's out there,
and if someone thinks they can make an extra buck, they will do it. Also, worm holes don't mean the horn is old, just worm eaten. I have shot black powder
muzzle loading firearms for years and have a number of powder horns. A couple of powder horns I've made have been repaired with glue because the darn
bugs got to 'em. The horn on the pestel serves absolutely no purpose except looks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back