Perfect Shovel.

OutrageousBob

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2024
Well in my first ever post here I mentioned needing a proper tool to dig with and make nice plugs in areas that require that. Also, the visuals associated with large digging implements did not go unheeded. I decided to pillage the scrap bin at work and make my own. I haven’t used it yet but it came out very nice and it should in theory anyway work well. What do you folks think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 11
Well in my first ever post here I mentioned needing a proper tool to dig with and make nice plugs in areas that require that. Also, the visuals associated with large digging implements did not go unheeded. I decided to pillage the scrap bin at work and make my own. I haven’t used it yet but it came out very nice and it should in theory anyway work well. What do you folks think?
Nice Job should work good, let us know how it works

I am curious how it will work with the sides made the way you choose to make them

What anyone else thinks shouldn't matter. If you like it, and it works well for you... :thumbsup:

What's the diameter of the plug it will cut?

IDK how it will do with roots; flatter blades can get between them more easily.

FWIW, it's about the same size as my big scary shovel.

If it works really well, you may have something there.
May I be first to review one? 😁

Nice design! I am still trying to find one that works for me without buying a $100 shovel.

I like the ingenuity and craftsmanship. However, it seems to me it would be hard to punch through sod and most soils, especially with roots present. My intuition tells me that you would have to rock the shovel back and forth to work it into the ground while kneeling or bending over. That would be hard on the arms, shoulders, and/or back because of the short handle. Also, the rocking might make a more obvious scar in the sod than a Lesche style digger.

If you intend to use your foot to drive it into the earth, you might consider an extended foot rest as the area looks too small to get a good purchase on the shovel. Which might result in your boot slipping off or jacking the shovel sideways.

I like the ingenuity and craftsmanship. However, it seems to me it would be hard to punch through sod and most soils, especially with roots present. My intuition tells me that you would have to rock the shovel back and forth to work it into the ground while kneeling or bending over. That would be hard on the arms, shoulders, and/or back because of the short handle. Also, the rocking might make a more obvious scar in the sod than a Lesche style digger.

If you intend to use your foot to drive it into the earth, you might consider an extended foot rest as the area looks too small to get a good purchase on the shovel. Which might result in your boot slipping off or jacking the shovel sideways.
Years ago I bought a regular Garant shovel.
For another $20 I got the shovel cut down, sharpened, pedals installed.
Notice the wear/shine on the pedal.
I use only the left arm foot mainly, no slipping off either.
It's taken a beating but still is digging.
20240208_124702.jpg

So I tried it in the woods behind the house. Worked perfectly. What you can’t really discern from the pictures is the edges from the tip out to the straight sides are sharpened. Not enough to cut myself but enough to cut through small roots. The diameter plug it will remove is about 5” I believe. When it dulls I’ll just hit it on the belt sander again. And it won’t rust, it’s 316L stainless steel.

So I tried it in the woods behind the house. Worked perfectly. What you can’t really discern from the pictures is the edges from the tip out to the straight sides are sharpened. Not enough to cut myself but enough to cut through small roots. The diameter plug it will remove is about 5” I believe. When it dulls I’ll just hit it on the belt sander again. And it won’t rust, it’s 316L stainless steel.
I could see the ground edges in the enlargement. :thumbsup:

I think most implements of excavation will cut through small roots. Some tools--shovels or trowels--have serrated edges for larger roots; I'm sure you've seen them. I have a small hand root cutter for that, but so far 🤞🏼 I've never used it.

I do come across larger roots. When they directly cross the hole, I can usually work around them. When tangential or two are parallel, I can usually get either my shovel or trowel between them. I don't know if that would be possible with the semi-circle, but it may be too rare an occurrence to be of concern. :dontknow: Time will tell! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back