βœ… SOLVED Pelican :)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug this Tuesday afternoon. I can see the Louisiana pelican and the motto, "Union, Justice, Confidence". There are also letters at the very bottom, I think I see E,A,L,D or O E. You cant see in the quick pix I took but there was gold gilt on it. The dime is for size reference of course.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
what other items did you find around that? Might give some clues, definitely a nice find anything Louisiana is cool

Upvote 0
It is brass. It was gold gilded. We are thinking some type of badge. I will post updated pictures when I get home. I can see more letters after cleaning some.

Upvote 0
I too was thinking badge or hat device maybe... If it dates to the same period as the other items you've been posting lately (early 1800's, right?) then that would be a very early date to see the pelican with the La. motto. I know it was used some before being officially adopted in 1902/3?, but I can't find anything comparable to that age.

Upvote 0
I too was thinking badge or hat device maybe... If it dates to the same period as the other items you've been posting lately (early 1800's, right?) then that would be a very early date to see the pelican with the La. motto. I know it was used some before being officially adopted in 1902/3?, but I can't find anything comparable to that age.
Thats exactly correct. They started using that motto in 1902. The site this came out of has had some late 1800s finds mixed with 1900-1930s.
I tried to trace the letters i can see. ?.P.O.E ALCES or ALOES.

Attachments

• 100_5451.JPG
    100_5451.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0
Sweet find!!

Used to have some relatives around Denham Springs. The Haneys and Browns.

Upvote 0
Whenever I see the initial "P.O.E." on a badge (or other insignia), I think of the "B.P.O.E." on my dad's adult-fraternal (not college) regalia. B.P.O.E. stood for Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks.

That being I've said, I've seen the B.P.O. (with a different fourth letter) on insignia of a couple of other similar adult-fraternal oganizations.

If you are indeed interpreting the lowest set of letters on your badge correctly as P.O.E., perhaps your badge is a Louisiana Elks Lodge badge.

Upvote 0
Whenever I see the initial "P.O.E." on a badge (or other insignia), I think of the "B.P.O.E." on my dad's adult-fraternal (not college) regalia. B.P.O.E. stood for Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks.

That being I've said, I've seen the B.P.O. (with a different fourth letter) on insignia of a couple of other similar adult-fraternal oganizations.

If you are indeed interpreting the lowest set of letters on your badge correctly as P.O.E., perhaps your badge is a Louisiana Elks Lodge badge.
I was just about to post....I do in fact see a "B" as the first letter. So, B.P.O.E it is. and the other letters look like ALCES possibly ALCEST

Upvote 0

"
SOLVED!! This badge is missing the " Cervus " on the left side, broke off. On the right side is " Alces" the word "
Cervus Alces" means elk. Thank you cannonballGuy!!! it's a [h=1]Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks badge!!![/h]

Upvote 0
Heres a picture with the corrections.

Attachments

• 100_5451.JPG
    100_5451.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back