Part of an old musket? Actually, no idea really...

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one four months ago or so and still have no real clue. I keep changing my mind on best possibilities every few weeks or so..... the round flint lockplate part of an old musket (though this one is flattened at the head, not round)..... an old seal stamper?...... part of an old latch?.... some kind of lighter thing (the tube seems to have a kind of old filament coating)... an old clamp?......a candle holder (though the curved clamp-like part makes no sense there).....etc.

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

Attachments

• IMG_8255.JPG
    IMG_8255.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_8257.JPG
    IMG_8257.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_8262.JPG
    IMG_8262.JPG
    298.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8260.JPG
    IMG_8260.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 108
Don't know what it is, but it's not part of a gun.

Upvote 0
at least the green bronze part looks like it could pass for a miniature Colonial period yo yo!

Upvote 0
Yes, I would say the bronze/metal part is just about quarter size in circumfrance-- not counting that jutting out clamp part on top.

Upvote 0
It's certainly an interesting find.
I was going to suggest it was the remains of trying to boil an egg in a metal egg-cup in a microwave :o
But they would have to be quail eggs or... , so...

Can you give us an idea of what activities there have been over the years, where it was found?

Is that a central pin in the tube, and what do you mean by a 'filament' on the tube?

Mike

Upvote 0
It's part of an old bell, an old doorbell perhaps. I've seen these before.

Upvote 0
old doorbell...hmmm, gives me something to research there. As far as what has gone on near the site this was found, there have been old scattered adobe rancho houses in the vicinity since around 1820 or so. Also an old Spanish church about a quarter mile down the road.

Upvote 0
p.s-- maybe it's not filament, but on the curved tubing part, much of it appears to be covered with a hardened and very finely cross-hatched covering (appears to be hardened cloth or something)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back