20240813_192828.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240813_192657.jpg
    20240813_192657.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240813_192748.jpg
    20240813_192748.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 26
This brass artifact that measures 2 1/4" long was found not far from where I believe a 19th century one-room school house once stood, and where a LC and a Lincoln Logs RR Engineer figure were found. The fine threads, grooves in the knob to help fingers grip better, and tip on the opposite end made me think it is part of a needle valve. All IDs welcome.
Could be an needle valve from an oiler.
Screenshot_20240813_200154_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 2
Not disagreeing with the I’d, but it has a 6 sided nut which means ~1930 or later
Sorry but that date has to be thrown our with the dishwater.

The hex head was developed as far back as the very early 1830's (James Nasmith) , and the square continued mainly in the production of agricultural implements. In Australia the implement manufacturers bought square mild steel bars and made their own, say into the 30's (Depression).

Upvote 1
Sorry but that date has to be thrown our with the dishwater.

The hex head was developed as far back as the very early 1830's (James Nasmith) , and the square continued mainly in the production of agricultural implements. In Australia the implement manufacturers bought square mild steel bars and made their own, say into the 30's (Depression).
Don’t disagree with when it was invented, but for my experience (and a lot of it is with ag related items) 6 sided nuts/bolts weren’t common until the early/mid 1900s. Once again, basing my knowledge on farm implements and when they were made, but don’t think I’m too far off.

Upvote 2
Don’t disagree with when it was invented, but for my experience (and a lot of it is with ag related items) 6 sided nuts/bolts weren’t common until the early/mid 1900s. Once again, basing my knowledge on farm implements and when they were made, but don’t think I’m too far off.
This is an interesting read.

Also there's reference to the civil war.

"In Ian Hogg's book "Weapons of the Civil War" there is a photograph captioned "Union 13-inch Siege Mortars, outside Yorktown in April 1862". In it one can clearly see the carriages are assembled with hex nuts (and square head bolts). Square nuts were used also, some are visible holding the straps down over the trunnions."

The L&S reference is 1918.

Post in thread 'When were hex nuts & bolts first used in the US?' https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...bolts-first-used-in-the-us.113448/post-419840

Upvote 1
This is an interesting read.

Also there's reference to the civil war.

"In Ian Hogg's book "Weapons of the Civil War" there is a photograph captioned "Union 13-inch Siege Mortars, outside Yorktown in April 1862". In it one can clearly see the carriages are assembled with hex nuts (and square head bolts). Square nuts were used also, some are visible holding the straps down over the trunnions."

The L&S reference is 1918.

Post in thread 'When were hex nuts & bolts first used in the US?' https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...bolts-first-used-in-the-us.113448/post-419840
You win….not arguing with you, just stating that 6 vs 4 was more prevalent the later you go.

Upvote 1
Next time I detect the property, I'll ask the elderly owner if he recalls any implement with an oiler. It could possibly be from a carburetor.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back