Parrott Frag...Trace chain and some lead today.......

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I needed a CW fix so I headed up to old reliable,one of the farm's at Sharpsburg.The one field I hunt has been pretty good with artillery frag's so I concenetrated on that particular field and dug all the -10/-30 iron along with the good stuff as well.Ended up with a piece of Parrott shell,the working end of a "trace chain",a .58 Gardner,and a fired .58 minie......There's hardly a spot that has some open ground up there,crop's and tick's for the most part.Had a great weekend for once in a long time.....Enjoy!!!!

Attachments

• P6220008.JPG
    P6220008.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 430
  • P6220011.JPG
    P6220011.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 389
  • P6220016.JPG
    P6220016.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0
Civil,
You are a die hard CW buff for sure. :thumbsup: Congrats on the finds today. :icon_king:
What is that book you have there?
-Doug-

Thank's Doug.....The book is entitled "Civil War Artifact's"....A Guide for the Historian by Howard R. Crouch.You might be suprised that you have a few piece's to check off of the "What's It " find's ;D Take Care!!!

GREAT JOB BRUTHA!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: That is a very impressive chunk of Parrott my friend. I LOVE artillery and artillery frags and shrapnel so I think that is a OUTRAGEOUS find. I love every single fragment that I have ever found and have never sold ANY of them!!! Great job Civil, and you got you a Minie and a Gardner and a trace chain to boot !!!!! :headbang: I'd Say that is a PRETTY dang good day bud!

Keep it up Joe, you know how it is on somedays to hunt for six hours and only find one minie so let us relish these days when we find the good stuff. I found some great stuff today and am very very happy myself.!!!!! GOOD JOB MAN! :wink: :wink: :wink:

{Sentinel} said:
GREAT JOB BRUTHA!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: That is a very impressive chunk of Parrott my friend. I LOVE artillery and artillery frags and shrapnel so I think that is a OUTRAGEOUS find. I love every single fragment that I have ever found and have never sold ANY of them!!! Great job Civil, and you got you a Minie and a Gardner and a trace chain to boot !!!!! :headbang: I'd Say that is a PRETTY dang good day bud!

Keep it up Joe, you know how it is on somedays to hunt for six hours and only find one minie so let us relish these days when we find the good stuff. I found some great stuff today and am very very happy myself.!!!!! GOOD JOB MAN! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Thank's Josh.....The trace chain was the very last thing I dug up on the way out.I made a circle with a compass to make sure the 3" stayed in circumference with a rifled shell....Dead on! According to some map's I located Hazard,Owen's and Tompkin's were all around early during the Battle in this vacinity.I take it they were greeted with some return fire as well early on......

Forgive me for not knowing, but what is a "trace chain" and what was it used for? I'm fairly certain I know where one is hanging inside an old (150 yr old) barn.........

Nice finds CMan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Congrats.

redlined said:
Forgive me for not knowing, but what is a "trace chain" and what was it used for? I'm fairly certain I know where one is hanging inside an old (150 yr old) barn.........
From what I can understand they were almost a security chain for CW wagon's at the time,This is my second from this place.

looks like a good day civilman1 congrats ! and I'm glad you had a great weekened I had a pretty good one to :thumbsup:

You had a great day for sure. . . that Trace chain is a wonderful piece!

Take care,
watercolor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back