Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't have a clue what it was hanging 20' from the ground. Only took a few minutes to climb and get it down. Figured out it was from a parachute then later on an emergency chute. Some one had a bad day.
My question is what is the aluminium piece for sewn into the strap? It says Sky Hook on it. Looked it up and made zero sense to me.
IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1414.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1420.JPGIMG_1419.JPG
Thank You.

Omg that’s awesome. Gotta be info on who was jumping outta planes over there no? Like any crashes in the area? Unless maybe some kind of recreational thing like skydiving.

Upvote 0
The hook looks like it is attached to a bungee strap that goes up inside the main strap. It would lighten the jolt when deployed. Safety harnesses for roof work have the same setup. Dummy me, used one while working on my roof and set my strap so that it would stop me about 4 feet from the ground because I was working by myself. It is 39 feet to the peak of the roof. I didn't know about the bungee part until a few days later. If I had fell, I would have hit the ground about a foot before the bungee reached the end.

Upvote 0
Drogue chute for equipment drop? Are you anywhere close to military base or training grounds?

Upvote 0
Omg that’s awesome. Gotta be info on who was jumping outta planes over there no? Like any crashes in the area? Unless maybe some kind of recreational thing like skydiving.
it was recreational.

The hook looks like it is attached to a bungee strap that goes up inside the main strap. It would lighten the jolt when deployed. Safety harnesses for roof work have the same setup. Dummy me, used one while working on my roof and set my strap so that it would stop me about 4 feet from the ground because I was working by myself. It is 39 feet to the peak of the roof. I didn't know about the bungee part until a few days later. If I had fell, I would have hit the ground about a foot before the bungee reached the end.
OK I got the bucket with the harness, rope, and ridge plate, for the same reason. I felt like a bear wearing a bikini/thong. Must make them south of the boarder for "Short Guys". Wouldn't the abrupt stop if it didn't have the bungee been just as bad?
Thank You that was more informative then what I found. Thank goodness for pictures.

Drogue chute for equipment drop? Are you anywhere close to military base or training grounds?
Used to be. Found many plane parts around the Island over the years. Don't think Grumman cared to use wind tunnels in 1960-80's. Just slap it on a Warthog or F-18 and hope it didn't blow off. Sounds kind of out there but I found enough to believe it. However nothing built out here anymore. Definitely skydiving trash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back