Panning the North Fork American

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hit The NFAR today. It was a little rearranged after it went from 40cfs to 10000 and now back to around 300cfs. Worked the wetted perimeter...

IMG_1383.JPG

Upvote 0
Good looking pan.

Thanks. I took Lanny's advice and found small pockets of fist sized cobbles. This was from just three pockets about a foot long and 6 inches wide. Hope to see more pics from your adventures. It looks like your getting it dialed in.....

Thank you! Going out today, it's a great spot minus water. And I need to thank GoldenIrishman for pointing us to it. Should be some new pics up on my San Diego thread this evening.

Nice work Mojo!

goldenmojo,
Congratulations that is some nice shine! Just think of what happens when the river flow goes over 30,000 cfs! The first time I saw the NFAR it was wall to wall, milk chocolate brown, boulders bouncing on the bottom, huge trees whisking down the river and it was Roaring! Awesome sight and that day linked me forever with the NFAR! That was in February of 1963 and I was "up river".

There is more where yours came from, enjoy the canyon and please take care of it by pulling out any trash you come across! With my best regards................63bkpkr

Nice job mojo it's nice to color thanks for showing and brighten up my day hope you fill the pan next time GL

goldenmojo,
Congratulations that is some nice shine! Just think of what happens when the river flow goes over 30,000 cfs! The first time I saw the NFAR it was wall to wall, milk chocolate brown, boulders bouncing on the bottom, huge trees whisking down the river and it was Roaring! Awesome sight and that day linked me forever with the NFAR! That was in February of 1963 and I was "up river".

There is more where yours came from, enjoy the canyon and please take care of it by pulling out any trash you come across! With my best regards................63bkpkr

I wasn't aware of the increase in flow the river must have experienced but I found what looked to be an abandoned dredge camp saturday in the green valley area of North Fork - a lot of trash - I would have packed it out but there was sleeping bags, tent, cans, cans, hoses, etc.

Hopefully the individuals responsible got swept down river. JK.

IMG_1393.JPGIMG_1386.JPG
goldenmojo,

Herb it is good to hear from you. Hope you are enjoying Tejas and not pining too much for the NF. I really enjoy the peacefulness of the river even in the crowded spots. I am waiting as we may get some decent water this week to move things around. I do pick up trash and haul it out and it amazes me at all that junk that floats down and is just tossed on the ground. Here's a couple of pics for you.

GM

Woody, Green Valley was where I started my relationship with the NFAR. One can come in via the trail out of Foresthill or out of Alta. There used to be a two or three room cabin on the Foresthill side of the river. People HAVE been swept down river from GV, they come in to fish the opening season when the water is high and cold and probably slip and fall on the rocks and under spring conditions one must react very quickly to be able to recover from falling into the rushing water.

Goldenmojo, Yup looks like NFAR Country. In the shot of the river, in the background is that a bridge or a road cut on the hillside?

Have fun Yall!.....................63bkpkr

Yes, I hiked in out of the Alta trail. I never saw the cabin but spent a few hours on both sides of the river. Very easy to get hurt anywhere there it seems with lots of shale in the higher elevations, slick moss and rocks lower down, etc. Some rough, but beautiful country. I am in love with it already.

ALewis gets the prize. It's downstream of the YJ bridge. Went down to the corner to take a look around.

That was one of the very first "spot's" I discovered. Drivin down the dirt road, wonderin where the f*** I was going ??? Then, getting to a sketchy lookin bridge ? Thats what it's all about ! I have some great vid's of my son there last summer, can't wait to make some more this yr.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back