Panning 'Other' Metals...

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a whole pile of aluminum shavings from someone's saw-job at work the other day. However, instead of cleaning them up they just swept the shavings into the dirt/gravel off from the pavement. So, I decided to sweep up all what I could to reclaim the shavings(just to see if I could and then I might melt them down afterwards). Thus far, I've been successful...'mostly', by stratifying and panning them. I've been spraying soapy water into the pan to help with surface tension(if that's what that is?). I know small gold can float, but aluminum is way more problematic. I'll have it in the pan and if I agitate it too much, a bunch of flakes will float up like crazy. Spritzing with soapy water knocks most of them down again...rinse and repeat...rinse and repeat. I'm wondering if they might have something on them that's greasy? I'm going to add some degreaser to the pan and see if that helps. I don't think that's the issue though, since the dish soap can break grease...hmmm, maybe I need something stronger? Haha...I'm sorry I'm not talking about GOLD here...would be nice though. But there's probably enough to melt down and cast into a . . . DUST PAN!!

- Jarl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back