Panning buckets collected

Bigmanco

Jan 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so this coming week imma order some pans a 1/2 and 1/4 screen. With ya recommendations imma do the bb and pan it out of some sand and dirt to learn the basics

Being a very patient person(im so NOT) i want to get to panning. Im thinkin bout buying like 4 5 gallon buckets taking em and a shovel goin to a public spot here collectin a some pay dirt from the inside bank on some turns on a stream or too bring em back to the house and pannin it out.

Is it worth dealin with the snow and cold or wait till spring

Also whsts the best place to order my pans and such from

Upvote 0
Do not wait until spring but do bring a friend for safety sake...especially in winter. When i was learning to pan, I did exactly what you are describing. Only thing is don't buy buckets without looking at the bottom of them. The Home Depot and Lowes ones are too thin to be durable (bottom will say 070 or 075 or 70 mil), especially when cold. You can get 090 thick buckets, likely for free or cheap, from restaurants, delis, bakery's and such...just ask or go dumpster diving like I've done!

Last edited:
^Dumpster Diver!!!

Need to go diving into this dumpster!! :tchest:

Ill check with the local grocery store the one in my town in indiana sold theirs for 50 cents from the bakery. We used em for construction. Carrying bricks. Plaster even mixin concrete in em

Ill check with the local grocery store the one in my town in indiana sold theirs for 50 cents from the bakery. We used em for construction. Carrying bricks. Plaster even mixin concrete in em
right, those are the kind you want!

I've definitely noticed that the Lowes/home depot buckets are the thing I use up. Lowes buckets crack on the bottom faster than a plumber in crouch mode. Nothing worse than filling up a few buckets then thinking to youself hey, why is this one dry?

The thought of the gold running down that crack scares me worst then the plumber in crouch mode lmao

I've definitely noticed that the Lowes/home depot buckets are the thing I use up. Lowes buckets crack on the bottom faster than a plumber in crouch mode. Nothing worse than filling up a few buckets then thinking to youself hey, why is this one dry?

Same-- I cracked 4 Lowes buckets one day on the river and was wondering what I was going to do when I cracked my fifth and final!

When we was remodeling our house idk how many times they would bust carrying them out the house. I told a friend of mine not to over fill them and watched two of em bust on his carry plaster i lmao he was not happy

Odd, ive never cracked my orange home depot buckets, however, im sure it has to do with the bone chilling cold there. Brittle cold!

Ya its beyond to cold here lol

Tell me bout it last winter i was in vegas 2 winters before florida. Id be happy with a week on a beach

Tell me bout it last winter i was in vegas 2 winters before florida. Id be happy with a week on a beach
can I suggest the "beach" at the Arapahoe Prospecting Park on the west edge of Wheatridge? With 55-60 degree water, thanks to Coors, it is a sweet spot to be on a sunny but cold winter day :-)

That sounds like a plan to me. Reminds me of a fishing hole back home. A powerplant outlet had water coming out at 95 degees the surronding lake area was always 60-70 we would be fishing in feb with snow on the ground. I wouldnt eat the fish being its by a coal plant but ik many who did. To me it was just nice to scratch that itch in dead winter and help feed my buddies family. They were poor and we would catch so many 2-6 pound cats u would never set ur pole down

Ohh ya always was cant beat a few beers campfire and a fishing pole

Good fun, especially as a kid, feeling like you were helping is good for the character too. Nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back