Panning Advice

Yes, it's almost all glacial up there. There is more significant gold in NH and Maine. More than NY has. Also the famous mines at Franklin, NJ have microscopic gold, but it's all coming out of old collections at this point in time. PA does have some gold coming out of Lancaster, York and Adams counties. Also near Harrisburg I hear. Maryland has gold in 3 predominant areas, near the Great Falls of the Potomac, in Carroll County and in Northern Harford County. I have had the most success in the Swift River in Maine. Easy to get to.

Wonderful. Thanks for the tips. Looks like we'll have several spring and summer trips this year. Where do you predominantly prospect? Also, do you do any sliding or just strictly panning? I was thinking about buying a sluice to potentially work a little more dirt. This is all new to us so we're trying to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks again for your help and happy holidays!

Welcome to the Tnet! - love your avatar! - Honey Badgers, and Wolverines rock & rule:headbang:

Thanks! "Honey badger don't care". If you haven't watched that on YouTube you need to!

frost10509 said:
Wonderful. Thanks for the tips. Looks like we'll have several spring and summer trips this year. Where do you predominantly prospect? Also, do you do any sliding or just strictly panning? I was thinking about buying a sluice to potentially work a little more dirt. This is all new to us so we're trying to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks again for your help and happy holidays!

Sluicing I mean. Hard to type with autocorrect'

Get a sluice but keep in mind that some eastern states restrict your sluice to 3 feet or less when on state lands. A sluice is a lot less work for more gold :)

KevinInColorado said:
Get a sluice but keep in mind that some eastern states restrict your sluice to 3 feet or less when on state lands. A sluice is a lot less work for more gold :)

Thanks so much. I am quickly learning there a lot of various state and federal laws regarding this.

I would say just get out there and check creeks and smaller rivers and check behind and under large rocks and boulders in the beds thats where I've been finding Glacial gold here in Minnesota.

mattfink said:
I would say just get out there and check creeks and smaller rivers and check behind and under large rocks and boulders in the beds thats where I've been finding Glacial gold here in Minnesota.

Will do and thanks for the input! :-)

Oh and another thing gold travels in a strait line so if the creek isn't to deep in low water the big rocks in the middle of the stream are pretty good spots

here's a pic of the creek I've been finding gold in
9 mile creek 2.jpg

mattfink said:
Oh and another thing gold travels in a strait line so if the creek isn't to deep in low water the big rocks in the middle of the stream are pretty good spots

I really appreciate the help. This will point me in the right direction. I'll keep you posted on any successes I have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back