Pan with jet dry

softens the hard water and seperates flour gold from dirt particles which floats the gold right out of yer pan.I think.

It floats it out of the pan?

It floats it out of the pan?

powder gold will float on water tension,caused by oils....soap breaks that tension so gold will not float out

So I'm assuming u put it in ur pan before u start panning.....

Yes a drop or two will do just fine.

I will have to give it a try....

Chew a piece of gum and spit into your pan to keep the floaters down.
Don't want a soapy foam slick running downstream of your panning or you'll get accused of polluting.

Was panning some beach cons and saw first hand what happens when micro gold touches air. It does float. Jet dry reduces the surface tension of water without adding bubbles. Hence the gold has a lesser chance of floating.

Hi Guys,
Never use soap of any kind while panning in a creek! If you want to use jet dry and it does work, put a couple of drops in a tub of water like a plastic cement mixing tub, and pan into it. That way you don't pollute and you don't need a safety pan. You can save your cons for further proccessing.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

I make it a habit every so often to wash my pans, sluices even the miner moss, blue bowl with non scented dawn dish soap. Its not so much the air bubbles that concern me as the oils that become present from constantly handling your pan Its just good a good idea.. And if you find your panning a lot of micro gold I suspect you may be spending to much time to make it even worth while. Mercury might be of some interest to you.

I've read "Alice In Wonderland" back to front a few times!! And the notion that's the mercury is why I am "Mad" is somehow comforting. I figured I was born this way.. I'm suprised. That is a reference I think a lot of people are no longer familiar with anymore.

I have seen that used on Jungle gold and cringe ever time. With what we know about that and then make it a staple in our homes with light bulbs. My kids are older now ,but 10 years ago I would have used candles and oil lamps versus mercury light bulbs.

Polluting a creek from using soap? What about all the fish s**t, muskrat s**t, mink s**t, raccoon s**t,deer s**t, etc, etc. Soap, really lol.

Polluting a creek from using soap? What about all the fish s**t, muskrat s**t, mink s**t, raccoon s**t,deer s**t, etc, etc. Soap, really lol.

Not sure what you are saying but yes,soap will suffocate fish.....other than that it wont hurt deer/muskrats etc.A common Indian trick was to damn up the creek then mash up soap root,or Buckeyes,and put them in the creek....the fish would come floating up.

I only use soap in panning at home.....cleaning up concentrates...to be honest...most panners are not experienced enough to hold powder gold in the first place....many experienced panners arent either....and your equipt(sluice/dredge)has to be set up just perfect to retain powder....and its darned hard to get any great amount crevicing......just my opinion....not worth anything :thumbsup:

Come on! A few drops of soap? I reuse my dish water on my plants and trees and they thank me. Just consider the amount the few drops of soap is diluted in a creek or river. You're talking parts per trillion or more. While we can look at the damage industries have done we might be over reacting in the other direction. Just consider what gets flushed down our toilets.
There is no reason to assume plants with names like Soap Root or Soap Wort, aka Bouncing Bet (Saponaria Officinalis) have anything to do with what we call soap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back