Out in the woods. Some silver and a cool oval button.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Went to the place George and I went last week where I found the colonial shoe buckle. I was alone since they had to work. 20 minutes into the hunt I find the 1939 quarter. The kiss of death. Early decent find equals not much after. I concentrated on the area where I found the buckle and came up with the cufflink like button. Cool design on it. I must've dug 50 shotgun shells and bullet casings. At first site of the plated spoon it looked solid since I saw the end of it first. Then I saw the business end of it and knew no such luck. The other spoon says Med Dept USA. Well I got my exercise and had fun.
HH, Mike in NJ

Attachments

• 5-3.jpg
    5-3.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 734
  • 1939.jpg
    1939.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 734
  • oval.jpg
    oval.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 708
  • spoon.jpg
    spoon.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 733
  • crock.jpg
    crock.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 743
Upvote 0
Well I am glad you had fun! Looks to me like you got some mighty cool finds as well! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Looks like a cufflink. What does the back look like? Nice finds!! :thumbsup:

Evolution said:
It has a shank like a button or cufflinks on the back. I wonder what the design means if anything.
HH, Mike in NJ

Mike95inNJ said:
Evolution said:
It has a shank like a button or cufflinks on the back. I wonder what the design means if anything.
HH, Mike in NJ

Definately 1 half of a cufflink. - late 18th century.

great finds and fun to you cant beat that ;D congrats :thumbsup:

Stormfighter said:
Nice Hunt! where in jersey.I am from Phillipsburg (northeast)
I'm in Monmouth County. Good luck out there.
Mike in NJ

kinda looks like a mourning cuff link? that quarter is in great shape!

HH
-GC

goldencoin said:
kinda looks like a mourning cuff link? that quarter is in great shape!

HH
-GC
Yep, that's what I think it is. I post all my finds here and on the Shadow Troy forum and a reply from Amy says the same thing. I never heard of mourning jewelry until yesterday.
Thanks, GC
Mike

Great spoon! I like your 'kiss of death' after an early good find comment. It seems like that always happens to me. Early good find=kiss of death. ;D

Attachments

• Washingtonlinks.jpg
    Washingtonlinks.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 288
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
goldencoin said:
kinda looks like a mourning cuff link?
HH
-GC

Good call, GC! :thumbsup:

Mourning jewelry of the late 18th and 19th centuries often featured urns, a symbol dating all the way back to ancient Greece. The urn represented the body as a vessel of the soul, and of course urns were also used to hold ashes following cremation. If the urn is draped, that is said usually to indicate the death of an older person.

The design of the sleeve link from eBay that Mike in NJ posted is also shown in Calver & Bolton's History Written with Pick and Shovel (Plate XI, #9, p. 225). However, they do not attribute it to Washington, stating instead that such links have been recovered in Revolutionary War camps and "...tell of personal bereavements, or the grief of fair ones whose ensigns or lieutenants were off to the war..."

Your finds are great. That Washington button is the best!! You take awesome pictures too. You must have a nice camera. Congrats on a successful hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back