Out In The Boondocks

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out today for some rest and relaxation. Dressed a bit warmer, packed a lunch, put in a fresh pair of batteries and hit the road.
I decided to go back to a swimming pool area that has been around at least since the turn of the 1900s.
Not really defunct, but it has seen better days. A small picnic grove adjoined the swimming area that was densely overgrown
in some points and it did not look very well used. Something if you could imagine that looked new in what I would say 1920 or so.
A bit nip as it was hovering around 50 degrees as the sun went in and out of the clouds. Brrrrrrr! 8)

I was not even out for 5 minutes, did not even ground balance the machine and got my first signal. It was just
under the surface at barely an inch. Thought it was a common dime and it was a 1916 merc. I flipped the reverse
and saw the mint mark and you could imagine the thoughts, but I knew better as the odds are so slow. Turns out
when I washed the dirt off it was an S. I cant complain though, what a great way to start. A 1916-S right of the bat!
I was talking to myself and heard a car pull behind me. I looked over my shoulder and it was the local police.
I started laughing as years ago that would have made me very uneasy. I just turned right around and kept on plugging away.
All they were prolly doing was eating their lunch.
Turns out I didnt get another silver though, but managed the 1930 buffalo and a badly corroded '44 wheat.
The picnic area turned up an old nickel-silver spoon. I keep finding spoons now! Before it was old pocketwatches.
I dont know what this means? Time to eat?

In any case...lot of clad...some whatzits. Great day to be out. Going to try to hit some newer areas and try for a ring amongst the clad tomorrow. :wink:
Got to enjoy it before the weather sours!

-CF

11-11-11.jpg

Upvote 0
it's always time to eat :D .... nice merc :thumbsup:

LOL! I dont know what else it could mean. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back