Origin of 2 cool miniature swords????

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
I came across 2 mini swords that were mounted on a plaque and I'm very curious to find out more about them?? They have markings but I can not make them out although the 1 marking I can make out says 14k which I'm sure its probably plated because I could never be so lucky lol :-(. Pls take a look and tell me what you think? Thanks guys :-) your the best!!

image-1301866663.jpg

image-102673579.jpg

image-1540792864.jpg

image-248813091.jpg

image-5858556.jpg

image-3662749659.jpg

image-3309171426.jpg

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

they are letter openers

I would have thought that too but letter openers are not sharp on the end they are dull and these were tied onto the shield with metal looped fastening screws with screw nuts on the back! I imagine they were made to be decorative and hung on the wall not for actual use

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

Upvote 0
I have no idea, but I just like your name

Upvote 0
I would say that the entire item maybe someone's "Coat of Arms", e.g. Family Crest.

Upvote 0
Origin; a Spanish tourist trap. I got one as a souvenir from my Mom, after she visited Spain in the Sixties. Letter opener is what she said. Sharp; you bet, all the better to go all Zorro on the mail.

Mine did not have the various signs of the zodiac, as does your black one.

zodiac_signs.jpg

Upvote 0
Back in the 50's, there was a company that was making miniatures of swords, different types, rifles, (again, different types) - a whole collectible thing. It went on for about 2 years, I believe, as my dad had several pieces (which I now own). Mine don't look exactly like yours, but, I also don't know how many different types of pieces were sold (they were sold individually). They were made exactly like originals. Maybe these are some of those?

Mrs.O

PS: This is not the guy, but, this is what they were doing in the 50's

Miniature Gunsmithing—David Kucer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These small sword displays are souvenir items from Spain, principally depicting famed Toledo Steel. That's the ancient city of Toledo Spain, not the relative newcomer Toledo Ohio. Also, lest we are scolded for sounding like ignorant Americans, Toledo Spain is pronounced much differently than our more familiar use of the word, and rather as; Toe-LAY-doh = (Toledo). Incidentally, Toledo Ohio's long-running newspaper in publication since 1835, The Blade, shows the influence in name, from Spain's famous center for sword and steel.

Having conducted business with Spain for over a decade, as well as having family and associates travel there, the sites and history of Toledo have a familiar theme. In fact, I have a small souvenir display of miniature Toledo Swords here at home, that were brought back from Spain.

Toledo Steel, known historically as unusually hard, is from Toledo Spain. Toledo has been a traditional sword-making, steel-working center since about 500 BC, and came to the attention of Rome when used by Hannibal in the Punic Wars. Soon, it became a standard source of weaponry for Roman Legions.

Toledo steel was famed for its very high quality alloy, whereas Damascene Steel, a competitor from the Middle Ages on, was famed for a specific metal-working technique.

Toledo, Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back