Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

Attachments

• flint.jpg
    flint.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 392
Are you thinking Flintlock rifle?

Upvote 0
I tend to look at pictures before I read the text. I immediately thought "flint" as in a flintlock. It has the appearance of flint and is the right size and shape. Then I read that you think it's flint (you have the advantage of first hand inspection) and that you found it near a colonial site.

I'm convinced.

Upvote 0
Although I've limited knowledge of flints and flintlocks, I reckon it has been ideally knapped for a flintlock flint.

Nice find.

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your opinions

Based on replies and research I've done, (it's of a material naturally not from around here)I'm concluding it is indeed a flint for a flintlock.

Upvote 0
What concerns me about this being a flint for a rifle is the striation pattern. These layers could be like fault lines and cause it to break. Most of the flint I have seen is like chert and had no "layers." The layers may indicate a sedimentary origin where flint is a type of quartz. Somebody with more geology knowledge than me needs to chime in.

Daryl

Upvote 0
can i see the other side??? if i can find my darn camera i will post a pic of one of mine.They are usually quite thick in the middle and the edges are usually worked to a slight slope.....will post a pic later.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back