One Last Shot - 1765 Spanish Silver!; Pewter Rosette? with Crown

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's forecast wasn't the best, lots of wind and chance of rain - but I knew it would likely be the last dig of the year so after I had the oil changed in my Jeep at 7:30 this morning, I decided to head out.
Went to the bean field I hit with Patriot on Sunday, and this time I narrowed the site down. I was sinking 3 - 6 inches in the mud after the heavy rain yesterday, but it was better than the frozen ground from Sunday!
Hit the 1765 2 real as I was walking back to the car to check my cell phone, and started gridding off the area. Quickly came up with the shoe buckle and the pewter crown rosette or whatever it is! spent about 4 hours there total, and it'll be the first spot hit in the spring I'm sure!
IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG

Upvote 18
BRAVO.......take a Bow Hunthicks, you deserve it. That is a wonderful looking 2 Reale coin, what a way to end a year up. The only problem I see with rounding up a year with such a great find is it may drive you crazy waiting for spring to come, just keep telling yourself that they have been in the ground for over 200 years and aren't about to go anywhere soon. In saying that, lets hope for a nice warming trend over the next week or two so you can have your encore.
Happy Hunting,
ZDD

I won't mind if we get a nice thaw at all! But if it stays frozen I'll have some good motivation for research to keep me from going stir crazy haha!

Well if that is the end it's a great way to finish the year! I have a feeling that you'll be back out again though!
I'm hoping so, but that frosty morning out there doesn't get my hopes up haha.

Very nice Silver! Congrats, i wish you have the chance to detect one more time before ground stays solid....

Nice coin, lovely color too.

Your coin is beautiful. Congrats.

Awesome Spanish!! I'm surprised nothing much came out of the ground on the first day! That said patience may have been a little low due to the cold and the wind! Congrats on a great find!!

Awesome finds. Congrats to u and a killer spot !!!

Awesome Spanish!! I'm surprised nothing much came out of the ground on the first day! That said patience may have been a little low due to the cold and the wind! Congrats on a great find!!
I'm thinking that was exactly it, we weren't really slowing down to look for signs with the -15 windchill going on. And with the ground thawed you could see some very tiny pieces of brick, glass and pottery I wasn't noticing when it was frozen(The first field we hunted).

Great looking 2 reales!! Nice crisp detail on that one, and a nice indication that your site dates back close to the time that one was minted.

Hunthicks,
Have you been able to determine the date of the Canadian one cent?
If not, can you determine if the obverse shows Queen Victoria or King Edward VII (facing right) or King George V (facing left)?
Don.....
PS: Can you post a pic of the obverse side of that coin--or did I miss a previous posting?

Last edited:
Nice 2 Reales but I think the pewter crown would have given me the bigger rush when I pulled it out, at least until I seen it didn't appear to be anything significant. I don't ever recall seeing anything like it so don't believe it will be too easy to find a match.

If your weather is anything like it is here today, it was your last hunt!

Nice 2 Reales but I think the pewter crown would have given me the bigger rush when I pulled it out, at least until I seen it didn't appear to be anything significant. I don't ever recall seeing anything like it so don't believe it will be too easy to find a match.

If your weather is anything like it is here today, it was your last hunt!
The crown did get me going, as this site is in between two sites with rev war military action and it has musketballs all over it just like the others did. I'll think of it as pretty cool and most likely military until I can find some research that tells me one way or another, because I'm sure it was one of the soldiers who had it!
And I'm pretty sure I'll be done for the year unless I can try digging a few holes Friday when it warms up, most of the snow melted here but the ground still seems fairly solid!

Hunthicks,
Have you been able to determine the date of the Canadian one cent?
If not, can you determine if the obverse shows Queen Victoria or King Edward VII (facing right) or King George V (facing left)?
Don.....
PS: Can you post a pic of the obverse side of that coin--or did I miss a previous posting?
The large cent is a super crusty George V
IMG_2287.JPG
But the other coppers found there, one in each of the two hunts, have me stumped. They are beyond crusty, but each has a pretty defined raised line about two thirds of the way down(The lines are running vertically in the pic). The only discernible writing is on the coin on the right, which has an E on the other side. I'm wondering if the raised line is enough for ID. :dontknow:
IMG_2288.JPG

Last edited:
The large cent is a super crusty George V
View attachment 909267
But the other coppers found there, one in each of the two hunts, have me stumped. They are beyond crusty, but each has a pretty defined raised line about two thirds of the way down(The lines are running vertically in the pic). The only discernible writing is on the coin on the right, which has an E on the other side. I'm wondering if the raised line is enough for ID. :dontknow:
View attachment 909268

Pretty crusty, but by the description this is what came to mind.

Attachments

• 541857l.jpg
    541857l.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
You can rule out the Canadian coin as being minted in 1911 since the letter after the "V" (for fifth) appears to be a "D", as in 'Del' versus an 'R' as in "Rex" for those coins minted between 1912 and 1920.
Don........

Pretty crusty, but by the description this is what came to mind.
That would make sense. I've never found any other coppers with that distinct a ridge on the rear and two of them at the same site. I thought the first one may not have even been a coin until I found the second with the lettering.

Very nice coin there---damn--- why can,t i find one ..hehe...

my time will come i,m sure...congrats !!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back