One Button Can make your hunt ! 2nd Mass Militia from this site !

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was running out of viable hunts so I decided I would do a little sifting on my closest site . I brought my detector of course and decided to fan away from the dump area I was going to sift and give a a go with the Explorer. I was finding enough signals to keep it interesting on this hunted out site so I never ended up using the sifter I carried out into the woods today . If you like check out this link to the first Mass Militia Button I found from this site ! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...-till-bag-keys-then-late-stunning-button.html I was not dissapointed with my results ! My Second Mass Militia button from this site :headbang: Thanks for looking and happy Treasure hunting to All ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_4298-001.JPG
    IMG_4298-001.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4299-001.JPG
    IMG_4299-001.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4300-001.JPG
    IMG_4300-001.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4301-001.JPG
    IMG_4301-001.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4302-001.JPG
    IMG_4302-001.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4303-001.JPG
    IMG_4303-001.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Upvote 11
I don't know much about those, but that's definitely a very cool looking button. Great find!

Yep...a button a day would make me a happy man! Nice find!

Sweet button! So cool that it has the same front as the 1786-7 Massachusetts copper! What a find!!!!

Excellent condition too.
It is very nice to get one with so much of it's gold left intact.

I don't know much about those, but that's definitely a very cool looking button. Great find!
Thanks Bill ! Here is a link on the Mass Militia button in case you feel like reading

1812-30's Massachusetts State Militia General Use

Color: A Coppery Brown.
Metal: Flat, 1-Piece, Raised Design, Brass.
Size: 25mm. Coat Size
Albert's Number: MS 19-A: RV 6-10
Tice's Number: MSO 36A.2
Variation: Native American Indian Standing on A Grassy Mound / Large Hunting Bow / Downward Pointing Arrow
Present Condition: A Non Excavated Example, Exceptional Planchet Casting, Exceptional High Relief Pattern.
Isabela's Notes: This is the same British manufacturer's obverse pattern, just a different back mark. The button's pattern depicts a Native American Indian Standing on a Grassy Mound. He is leaning on a Large Hunting Bow in his Left Hand, and holding a Downward Pointing Arrow in his right. Over the Indian's right shoulder is the symbolic Five-Point North Star which represents the dependent territory of Maine. Arched in a semi-circle around the Indian is the states name, "MASSACHUSETTS" in large Roman font capital letters. The high relief pattern is set on a lined field, that is within an oval picture frame border with an outer rope edging. When this button becomes available, collectors should seek specimens that clearly show the Indian's belt and depict the shirt's V neck lines clearly.
Reverse Button Analysis: This is a one-piece button with a loop shank. The shank is original, straight, and intact. rm LONDON- EXTRA-QUALITY within a set of 2 double Rm rings.

The RJ Silverstein Collection.

I honestly know NOTHING about the old buttons but for it's age that one looks to be in spectacular condition. However, my eyes were drawn to that pretty merc just sitting there without any mention. Great finds all and a good overall hunt.

That's a bunch of nice finds! Congrats!

Great looking button MR! Would love to dig one of those!

Well done, Maine Relic. That is a gorgeous button! :)

That button is awesome. Historical and eye appeal - how can you go wrong with a find like that. Lots of gilt still remains - another plus.

Good Hunting

I echo everybody else! Great button!

Excellent condition too.
It is very nice to get one with so much of it's gold left intact.
. Thanks Rick ! Not quite as nice as the first one I found but yes very happy with the condition .

Extra means GOLD, ha, that's in good shape too, especially for a gilded button. I'm sure that didn't come without some hard work, good job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back