OMG...I THINK I FOUND A wagon wheel skein!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the whole day to detect so I took a page out of the Iron Bros. book and decided to hit some sites that I've labeled as "beat". This is a site that Patriot and I hunted and is an old French site. I've hunted it many times and have a few decent targets to show for but it is awfully quiet. It's in an area that saw a lot of military activity in the early 1700s with several documented land and sea battles between the French and English. This piece was found on the river bank of one of those engagements.

I really do think that it is the business end of a small cannon...maybe a signal cannon. I would appreciate any input here. The back end is "blown out" and there are no trunnions but nonetheless...

I was just cleaning a little more corrosion off and found a hole which goes into the bore. Fuse hole?

Comments please!

Attachments

• DSCF0106.JPG
    DSCF0106.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 2,501
  • DSCF0104.JPG
    DSCF0104.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 2,538
  • DSCF0106.JPG
    DSCF0106.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 2,447
  • DSCF0104.JPG
    DSCF0104.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 2,544
Upvote 0
Re: OMG...I THINK I FOUND A CANNON!!!

creskol said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:
I hate to be a naysayer here, and hope I don't cause any rift, but there is something about the tab with the square shoulder that doesn't sit quite right with me in thinking that this piece is a signal cannon. I hope I am wrong, and I hope somebody can find a photograph to substantiate the cannon theory, but to my eyes the piece in question looks more like an old wagon axle skein than it does a signal cannon. I sure do hope I am wrong! :icon_scratch: :help: :read2:

Hmmm...time to start Google'ing axel skein...

I wasn't holding my breath until I found the hole which I assumed was a fuse hole...

I'm still open to all possibilities...

Would you mind posting a photo of both ends (actually just the end that isn't shown) Thanks!

Both ends are shown...it is open on the larger end (with the tab) but it looks jagged so I though it may have been a blow out or just broke off...now I'm thinking...

I've started looking for skeins and most appear to be considerably longer than this piece...

romeo-1 said:
creskol said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:
I hate to be a naysayer here, and hope I don't cause any rift, but there is something about the tab with the square shoulder that doesn't sit quite right with me in thinking that this piece is a signal cannon. I hope I am wrong, and I hope somebody can find a photograph to substantiate the cannon theory, but to my eyes the piece in question looks more like an old wagon axle skein than it does a signal cannon. I sure do hope I am wrong! :icon_scratch: :help: :read2:

I wasn't holding my breath until I found the hole which I assumed was a fuse hole...

Would you mind posting a photo of both ends (actually just the end that isn't shown) Thanks!

Both ends are shown...it is open on the larger end (with the tab) but it looks jagged so I though it may have been a blow out or just broke off...now I'm thinking...

I've started looking for skeins and most appear to be considerably longer than this piece...

They range in length from 6 1/2 inches to 14 inches. Being open on both ends, I think it may be a skein.

creskol said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:

They range in length from 6 1/2 inches to 14 inches. Being open on both ends, I think it may be a skein.

Unfortunately I have to agree that makes much more sense. I thought each of the opening shots was the same side.

So maybe start making preperations to haul that 3000 lb one home. ;D

Yeah, it does make more sense but wouldn't the protrusion keep the wheel from spinning? Of course I have about as much knowledge of skeins as I do signal cannons so I'm not sure if the protrusion is common on skeins or signal cannons...

romeo-1 said:
creskol said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:

I didn't realize both ends were open , so now I'm ???ing , The tab I thought might have fit into a bracket on the gunwall of the ship to brace it when you fired it ,is the bottom? blown out??? ,or made that way????. Sure hope it is a signal cannon for you !!! buuuuuuuuuut. HH

Maybe it was a wagon wheel that fired warning shots. :wink:

(I too know nothing about each)

Great find ....congrats ! :thumbsup:
H

I'd sure think cannon pulling that out of the ground, hopefully you can figure it out one way or another! :icon_thumright:

I thought mortar right off, let us know if you come to a conclusion. HH, Mike

I couldn't find an exact match, but this is fairly close I think.

Attachments

• skein.jpg
    skein.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,755

Wow, what a cool find!

PikesPeakCharlie said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:
romeo-1 said:
creskol said:

I didn't realize both ends were open , so now I'm ???ing , The tab I thought might have fit into a bracket on the gunwall of the ship to brace it when you fired it ,is the bottom? blown out??? ,or made that way????. Sure hope it is a signal cannon for you !!! buuuuuuuuuut. HH

from memory, some are open both ends, they locked in place against a backplate (for want of a better word), & as they were a small charge & not loaded with a ball, it put little stress on the cannon.

Ok...where is "the cannonball guy"...this seems right up his alley. I'm still holding out hope based on the possible fuse hole...

romeo-1 said:
Ok...where is "the cannonball guy"...this seems right up his alley. I'm still holding out hope based on the possible fuse hole...
or right down his tube :laughing9:

romeo-1 said:

The "fuse hole" is probably an oil weep hole for lubrication purposes.

sweet relic :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Romeo-1 wrote:
> Ok...where is "the cannonball guy"...this seems right up his alley.

I very rarely post in the Today's Finds forum, because some people have made it clear to me that they very much dislike hearing that their find is not a valuable Military relic. I myself prefer to learn the true Facts about my finds, instead of "cherishing" an object which actually isn't what I want to believe it is. However, other people disagree with that choice.

So, that having been said, I want the Today's Finds forum's readers to know that in this case, I am responding to Romeo-1's PM'ed request to me to identify the object.

> I'm still holding out hope based on the possible fuse hole.

On a cannon, the "fuse hole" you mentioned was called the touch-hole in the Colonial era, and called the vent-hole in the Civil War era. The location of that hole is the number-one clue that your find is definitely not any kind of cannon. The vent-hole is ALWAYS located at the rear end of the cannon ...because that is where the cannon's propellant-powdercharge is always located. The hole on your find is located in the middle of the object. Therefore, it is definitely not any kind of cannon, even though it does "look like" one in other ways.

There are some other clues on your object showing that it isn't a cannon. But, the location of your find's hole (it is a axle lubricant-hole) means there's no need for me to bore the forum's readers with lengthy explanations of the other not-a-cannon clues.

The only type of actual cannon which your find resembles was called a Thunder Mug ...because its short stubby body, often (but not always) having a handle, resembles a drinking-mug. A Thunder Mug's purpose was for testing gunpowder, but it could also be used as a Signal-Cannon.

Here are some photos showing an actual original Colonial era Thunder Mug. Note the location of the touch-hole/fuse-hole/vent-hole. I'll also include a photo of a modernday reproduction Thunder Mug, which shows a firecracker-fuze in the touch-hole/vent-hole at the mug's base.

Attachments

• cannon_Thunder-Mug_Spanish_Manila-Phillipines_sideview.jpg
    cannon_Thunder-Mug_Spanish_Manila-Phillipines_sideview.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,307
  • cannon_Thunder-Mug_Spanish_Manila-Phillipines_topview.jpg
    cannon_Thunder-Mug_Spanish_Manila-Phillipines_topview.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,350
  • cannon_Thunder-Mug_REPRODUCTION_size-5inches-tall_4inches-wide_bore2inches.jpg
    cannon_Thunder-Mug_REPRODUCTION_size-5inches-tall_4inches-wide_bore2inches.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 1,410

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back