OMG...I THINK I FOUND A wagon wheel skein!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the whole day to detect so I took a page out of the Iron Bros. book and decided to hit some sites that I've labeled as "beat". This is a site that Patriot and I hunted and is an old French site. I've hunted it many times and have a few decent targets to show for but it is awfully quiet. It's in an area that saw a lot of military activity in the early 1700s with several documented land and sea battles between the French and English. This piece was found on the river bank of one of those engagements.

I really do think that it is the business end of a small cannon...maybe a signal cannon. I would appreciate any input here. The back end is "blown out" and there are no trunnions but nonetheless...

I was just cleaning a little more corrosion off and found a hole which goes into the bore. Fuse hole?

Comments please!

Attachments

• DSCF0106.JPG
    DSCF0106.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 2,501
  • DSCF0104.JPG
    DSCF0104.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 2,538
  • DSCF0106.JPG
    DSCF0106.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 2,447
  • DSCF0104.JPG
    DSCF0104.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSCF0088.JPG
    DSCF0088.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 2,544
Upvote 0
Re: OMG...I THINK I FOUND A CANNON!!!

If it's the real McCoy...SWEEEET :icon_thumright:
Thinking I should revisit a few Beat sites as well!! I mean a KAR button coming out then a cannon! I've got no choice :tongue3:

Can you please provide some measurements and photos of the ends, etc? Thanks!

creskol said:
Can you please provide some measurements and photos of the ends, etc? Thanks!

Here you go...

Attachments

• DSCF0090.JPG
    DSCF0090.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,382
  • DSCF0089.JPG
    DSCF0089.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 2,364
  • DSCF0092.JPG
    DSCF0092.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,375
  • DSCF0093.JPG
    DSCF0093.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,386
  • cannon1.JPG
    cannon1.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,388
  • DSCF0091.JPG
    DSCF0091.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,364

Saw one on Pawn stars ,think it's a signal cannon/gun. CONGRATS :headbang:

PikesPeakCharlie said:
Saw one on Pawn stars ,think it's a signal cannon/gun. CONGRATS :headbang:

same here

signal canon for sure, they would carry them onboard to let the dock know they were on there way in

Great dig Romeo.......these guy's nailed it :thumbsup:

Yeah, :hello2:

Pawn Stars FTW, Its a signal cannon..!! :icon_thumleft: (Used in signaling a port of the ships arrival, so they could check the ship for plague) If you can find out what ship its from it could have a nice dollar sign... :o :headbang:

Great find !! :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

I hate to be a naysayer here, and hope I don't cause any rift, but there is something about the tab with the square shoulder that doesn't sit quite right with me in thinking that this piece is a signal cannon. I hope I am wrong, and I hope somebody can find a photograph to substantiate the cannon theory, but to my eyes the piece in question looks more like an old wagon axle skein than it does a signal cannon. I sure do hope I am wrong! :icon_scratch: :help: :read2:

creskol said:
I hate to be a naysayer here, and hope I don't cause any rift, but there is something about the tab with the square shoulder that doesn't sit quite right with me in thinking that this piece is a signal cannon. I hope I am wrong, and I hope somebody can find a photograph to substantiate the cannon theory, but to my eyes the piece in question looks more like an old wagon axle skein than it does a signal cannon. I sure do hope I am wrong! :icon_scratch: :help: :read2:

Ah-oh, I couldn't imagine what else it could have been, but now I can. Looks like a little more research is needed.

...but it's only open at one end? For it to be a wagon axle skein doesn't it need to be open at both ends?

creskol said:

Hmmm...time to start Google'ing axel skein...

I wasn't holding my breath until I found the hole which I assumed was a fuse hole...

I'm still open to all possibilities...

Great find!!! Guess Im Going to have to follow this One to Find Out !!!! HH Chug

romeo-1 said:
creskol said:

Hmmm...time to start Google'ing axel skein...

I wasn't holding my breath until I found the hole which I assumed was a fuse hole...

I'm still open to all possibilities...

Would you mind posting a photo of both ends (actually just the end that isn't shown) Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back