OMFG did I just find another Civil War ID TAG??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Need some help here! I dug this shield that looks like it may have had a pin back at one time (pin is long gone). Front has an eagle or pelican up top with wings spread. Below are three raised (formerly smooth) lines into which text has been stamped. What it appears to say is:

LEVY JOHNSON (OR IOHNSON)
U.S. R OF ?(illegible letter)
L(illegible--maybe "La?")

I could use some help figuring out what--and WHO this is! Below is a photo in artificial light and a photo in natural light.

Thanks so much, everyone!

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 569
  • IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Awesome find! Congrats!

Upvote 0
Not sure that it is one, need to figure out what it is first before any congratulations. Thanks though!

Upvote 0
In older scripts there was no "J"...it was all "I". In early English Bibles "Jesus" was spelled "Iesus" and pronounced like you or I would say "Jesus." This is quite late for that, but who knows?

Upvote 0
In older scripts there was no "J"...it was all "I". In early English Bibles "Jesus" was spelled "Iesus" and pronounced like you or I would say "Jesus." This is quite late for that, but who knows?

On closer examination I believe it’s a “J”

Upvote 0
The confusing part is U.S. R of ? I can't figure out what that would be.....

Regiment of Rifles?
Regiment of Colored Troops?

I SO wish I could decipher that last letter!

Upvote 0
Wow...thats incredible !!

Upvote 0
FYI the book “ identification discs of union soldiers in the Civil War“ states that “ only union discs are included because the authors know of no authentic minted confederate identification disks like those worn by union soldiers.”

So while all the signs seem to indicate that this is an ID badge from a Confederate, I have to approach this with a huge degree of skepticism too!

Upvote 0
Regiment of Rifles?
Regiment of Colored Troops?

I SO wish I could decipher that last letter!

I once researched a colored regiment that had a Levi Johnson. It was spelled Levi but it could have been spelled both ways I imagine. It was a Company I, mustered out of Baltimore but they ended up at the battle of Natural Bridge later in the war. Note that they were called USCT and not regiment of colored troops....dont know if this helps or not.

Upvote 0
I once researched a colored regiment that had a Levi Johnson. It was spelled Levi but it could have been spelled both ways I imagine. It was a Company I, mustered out of Baltimore but they ended up at the battle of Natural Bridge later in the war. Note that they were called USCT and not regiment of colored troops....dont know if this helps or not.

Good point about the spelling! Wonder if there are any Levi Johnson’s with military history that have a connection with Louisiana

Upvote 0
Looks like there might be something below the L.

Another observation, is there something before the L? Everything else seems to be centered then you get to the L and it's centered. So it leads me to think that either nothing is after the L or something is before it also. Did that ramble make sense?

Upvote 0
I see "U.S. R of" and then the "L" below (Maybe "La")
I just don't think there is enough physical space after the "of" to expect another character.

Upvote 0
I see "U.S. R of" and then the "L" below (Maybe "La")
I just don't think there is enough physical space after the "of" to expect another character.

I certainly don?t see another letter there. BUT an “I” would fit for sure.

I agree that there does look like there maybe be something below the L. Thought that might be an engraver?s name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"La" may be a jump. Think a wider search at this time. What was found with it or nearby? Any age.

One thing maybe - In the Johnson, isn't the "S" a "2"? Maybe a "20"? Could be a trader's pin or religious item too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Could be U.S.S. which may pertain to a steamer which often had this as part of their attribution as a prefix to to their name.

Upvote 0
"La" may be a jump. Think a wider search at this time. What was found with it or nearby? Any age.

One thing maybe - In the Johnson, isn't the "S" a "2"? Maybe a "20"? Could be a trader's pin or religious item too.

also in the same field a Louisiana pelican civil war button, several .52 cal sharps bullets, some .58 and .69 cal round balls, two half dimes, and an 1870s dime.

Upvote 0
Could be U.S.S. which may pertain to a steamer which often had this as part of their attribution as a prefix to to their name.

click the bottom photos which are full sized and can be zoomed in. Definitely says “U.S. R of.” I don’t see another letter between the U and the S.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm going to do some careful toothpicking of that letter after the “ L” at the bottom…

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back