Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Omega 8000, Beginner's Questions

hi, a few days since I am a proud owner of an omega 8,000. I got it with the 11 " coil. because of the bad weather I've tested in the garden behind my house. Now I have some questions:

- Balls of aluminum foil are clearly displayed as nickel and not as expected as a foil.
- Copper (wire shaped into a ball and knocked into a disk-wide) an id of 96-99
- Gold object (ear pendant, about 5 mm in diameter) is ignored in the air at about 10 cm.

i found a 20 cent Euro coin about 30 cm deep! in the ground I'm quite sure - this value was not reached in air test with the same coin, how can that be?

I still found a small ring of silver color, depth 25 cm. id 83 - 87 Almost had a heart attack .... I can not believe that there really is a silver ring and buried my wife in the same spot with the same depth (this ring was a gift from me and he's really made ​​of silver) I got an id 75-80?
my settings:
sens: 85
disc-level: 16
freq: 2
no notch
manual ground balance 65

Ezer 19, Wish you good Luck and Happy Hunting with the Omega 8000

By all reports from Omega 8000 owners it's a very good Metal Detector.

Last edited:
Ezer,

I've been using the Omega 8000 since January of this year and my experience has told me that you just have to get used it. I've seen similar behaviors at times and many times walk away from MD'ing scratching my head. Some observations that I have seen:

- A consistent TID 84 signal (which should be a dime) turns out to be a penny. I see this all the time... matter of fact, dug 6 pennies this evening and 4 of them rang up a good dime signal.
- Some have said on these forums that a nickel will TID 55-56. Pulltab will sometimes TID 57-58. This is not consistent.
- The only thing that my Omega will TID accurately is a quarter (TID 90-92).

Generally, the following what I dig based upon the TID (estimating... I haven't been keeping a tally):
- 90-92; 100% quarter if it consistently TIDs in this range. Once in a while, a quarter will TID 89-91
- Dime; 33% - a dime; 33% a penny; 15% a crushed aluminum can about 3-4 inches deep; 15% a piece of can slaw
- Nickel; 85% can slaw or pulltab; 15% nickel

At this point... I typically only dig good dime signals, quarter signals or "strange" signals that I don't have a clue what it is... unless I'm in an area that I believe could have old coins; then I dig every reasonable signal.

I haven't gotten good enough yet to know how jewelry will TID. My air testing with a thin gold ring will TID between 40-60... and doesn't settle on a single TID or tight range. I have found one silver ring that TID'd all over the whole range... it was odd enough that I dug it. It had very odd shaped ornamentation on it... I'm guessing this is what caused it to TID very strangely.

If you read through the forums... you will see the more seasoned MD'ers say you will dig a lot before you get very good. I'm at over 300 coins so far this year, and still don't consider myself good.

Keep the faith... give it time. At some point, we'll both make more sense of what the Omega is telling us.

Hi Mag,

the information in the TID of the Omega are not reliable, I agree with you. I think the main problem are alloys that have always different compositions and therefore prevents a precise determination. I resigned myself to a lot of garbage to dig. The best experience to limit this I have made with the following settings:
I notch foil and p-tab out.
iron, zinc, nickel, s-cap remain visible, otherwise I lose many coins.
The iron signal sound helps to identify if iron in the game, where the display of the TID failed (jumping numbers).
Setting disc to 1 and sens depending on quality of the soil. very important I think is the ground balance, more accurately, the better is the id.
I circle around a target, while continuous swinging over suspected target position, so i can get signs from all directions. If a coin, the id remains mostly constant and garbage sometimes betrays itself here through the deep ironsound and fe2o3 bars + heavy jumping tid.
Aluminum Foil (Balls) is always displayed as nickel, a problem I can not solve. Chewing gum paper is displayed correctly as a foil....
Facts, good to know, but not really helpful.
On the whole, I am very pleased with the Omega, the depth is very good (especially with NEL 12x13), the handling easy and you are able to find a lot of interesting things :)
Silver is no problem, if it is there and in the right depth , you will get it 100%.
Hope you can understand my bad english - Unfortunately, I have to help me with google-translator :)))
many greetings from Germany

Hi Mag,

the information in the TID of the Omega are not reliable, I agree with you. I think the main problem are alloys that have always different compositions and therefore prevents a precise determination. I resigned myself to a lot of garbage to dig. The best experience to limit this I have made with the following settings:
I notch foil and p-tab out.
iron, zinc, nickel, s-cap remain visible, otherwise I lose many coins.
The iron signal sound helps to identify if iron in the game, where the display of the TID failed (jumping numbers).
Setting disc to 1 and sens depending on quality of the soil. very important I think is the ground balance, more accurately, the better is the id.
I circle around a target, while continuous swinging over suspected target position, so i can get signs from all directions. If a coin, the id remains mostly constant and garbage sometimes betrays itself here through the deep ironsound and fe2o3 bars + heavy jumping tid.
Aluminum Foil (Balls) is always displayed as nickel, a problem I can not solve. Chewing gum paper is displayed correctly as a foil....
Facts, good to know, but not really helpful.
On the whole, I am very pleased with the Omega, the depth is very good (especially with NEL 12x13), the handling easy and you are able to find a lot of interesting things :)
Silver is no problem, if it is there and in the right depth , you will get it 100%.
Hope you can understand my bad english - Unfortunately, I have to help me with google-translator :)))
many greetings from Germany

The worst part is you speak (well, type) better English than half of the people living in America do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back