Oldest Coin Yet (1700) and other colonial treasures from the Beach!

X-Splenda

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
it was 21 degrees with a windchill in the teen's. spent 5 hours.Had One of my best days at the Beach! found a 1700 HalfPenny at the Beach the last place i would excpect it! and 2 others.
1723 Farthing! My 2nd Farthing! My 3rd halfPenny is a 1727 HalfPenny! also a silver nickel. a 1914 Barber Quarter. And Finally a gold Ring! 14K. Also found 3 Musket Bullets. And a Mold of some sort. Can you Help me with that it's the Last Picture. Thanks-
n3r878.jpg

2sbww8l.jpg

2cr3ng3.jpg

2vv0xn9.jpg

2mgl5kk.jpg

axodjb.jpg

o0uiky.jpg

10gbewx.jpg

2qb5dfl.jpg

wlpwnm.jpg

2cqzc7r.jpg

2cqzc7r.jpg

kn9yh.jpg

2zs3ead.jpg

azgb5w.jpg

wbqeqb.jpg

Upvote 0
X-Splenda said:
is it worth some money?
Thanks-

not over here in the UK.

However, in the US to the right buyer, ie someone who collectors horse brasses might like it as its a nice early piece, & about as early as you could hope for in the US. Also it has an intact loop which never normally survive. So it might attract $30-50 :dontknow:

Nice that you have found the oldies, a horrible shame the condition they are in, but at least there are some details.

As Iron Patch said, the 1727 is not likely, so don't log that date, keep looking, maybe a legit date will appear. The Woods Hibernia, well, that looks more like the Halfpenny than the Farthing, judging by the size of your coin holder. I told Sniffy, Dr Phil Mossman(Notre Dame Website contributer and author) has been for several years collecting data on ground found Woods coppers circulation study, just like I am with the NJ coppers, and would like to know County and State found in and whether a Farthing or Halfpenny.
Please PM me with the information, if you could also measure the diameter to tell for sure if Farthing or Halfpenny.

Don

Don in SJ said:
Nice that you have found the oldies, a horrible shame the condition they are in, but at least there are some details.

As Iron Patch said, the 1727 is not likely, so don't log that date, keep looking, maybe a legit date will appear. The Woods Hibernia, well, that looks more like the Halfpenny than the Farthing, judging by the size of your coin holder. I told Sniffy, Dr Phil Mossman(Notre Dame Website contributer and author) has been for several years collecting data on ground found Woods coppers circulation study, just like I am with the NJ coppers, and would like to know County and State found in and whether a Farthing or Halfpenny.
Please PM me with the information, if you could also measure the diameter to tell for sure if Farthing or Halfpenny.

Don

I wonder what the record is for digging 1700s Irish coppers and not having a Woods Hibernia. Some friends only two hours away have dug many, yet it's one I have never found. Maybe 2010 will be the year! :thumbsup:

Great finds!
That 5hrs in the cold was well worth it!! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back