Oldest cent to date

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today on my property I was so excited to see it was a 1864 Indian so far my oldest coin. This coin has made my day and finds like this might mean some seated silver is on my property.

image-2997907905.jpg

image-1164604703.jpg

Upvote 7
As a coin collector as well as a detectorist I am not a fan of cleaning coins....I like the way the patina looks on coins I dig,however if you plan on keeping it and want to make it look nicer try microwaving peroxide for 20 seconds or so and drop the coin in it and let it soak for a while up tk an hour and remove it and gently scrub with a soft bristle toothbrush and run under tap water....repeat this until you are satisfied with the way it looks....again I am not into cleaning my finds but I have done this to the colonial button in my profile picture and it still retained a nice green patina....I only did this because could not make out the detail at all when I dug it....it was all crusty and looked completely toasted.....little by little the detail emerged and I was very happy with the outcome.....I will keep this and pass it down.....just think about it alot before you do it...although you should have great results as stated earlier in this thread it will hurt the value and cannot be undone.Hope this helps congratulations on a nice find,Happy Hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back