Oldest cent to date

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today on my property I was so excited to see it was a 1864 Indian so far my oldest coin. This coin has made my day and finds like this might mean some seated silver is on my property.

image-2997907905.jpg

image-1164604703.jpg

Upvote 7
Cleaned it off in water should I try and clean it more and if so with what? Thanks for any input.

CONGRATS on a beautiful old Indian Head cent! :notworthy: :occasion18: :blob5: Seems to be in very good condition too. Pretty soon you'll probably get good cleaning tips from others on this site that know lots more than I about cleaning coins. HAVE FUN! Andi

Very nice find! I wouldn't clean it unless you don't ever plan to sell it. Cleaning can reduce the collectible value.

Wayne

Very nice find! I wouldn't clean it unless you don't ever plan to sell it. Cleaning can reduce the collectible value. Wayne
Ok Wayne I just cleaned it with water and left alone so it will stay that way thanks.

Very good. I've yet to find one.
Never expected to find an Indian I have found a barber dime on my fro perry and lots of wheats mercs

When it comes to finding copper out of the ground you want a solid green patina the more uniform with less corrosion the better- green color is oxygen reacting to the copper

I love that you found that on your own property, nice to be able to just walk out your door and possibly find something as cool as that Indian Head, I think it looks beautiful just the way it is. I don't think you need to clean it anymore, maybe some olive oil or beeswax to help protect it? IDK, I'm still very much a rookie at all this, I'm sure you can get solid advice from some of the more knowledgeable members of this site.

Cool find, I also found a Indian in my back yard. You can clean it in boiling peroxide, microwave a little peroxide in a glass container and drop it in, let it's it for a little while, you'll like the results. HH

Cleaning coins does nothing to the value. Removing or stripping any existing age patina is what devalues coins, and is often (incorrectly) termed "cleaning".

A simple peroxide bath should clear off most of the dirt, and then yes, as treblehunter said, a protectorate like beeswax, olive oil, or something similar. No lacquer on coins!

Cleaning coins does nothing to the value. Removing or stripping any existing age patina is what devalues coins, and is often (incorrectly) termed "cleaning". A simple peroxide bath should clear off most of the dirt, and then yes, as treblehunter said, a protectorate like beeswax, olive oil, or something similar. No lacquer on coins!
Thanks and I got to looking at it and appears to be an L which means its semi key

Cool find, I also found a Indian in my back yard. You can clean it in boiling peroxide, microwave a little peroxide in a glass container and drop it in, let it's it for a little while, you'll like the results. HH

I have found through a recent experience that boiling the peroxide is not always necessary, but is definitely an option.

Nothing better than finding a civil war era coin. congrats.

An 1864 Indian is also my oldest coin to date. Congrats... Yours is in much better condition then mine is!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back