Old silver case?

AkamaiOkole

Dec 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I'm new here although I've read posts on and off for the last few years.

About 20 years ago, my friend and I were metal detecting in an empty lot in North Portland (Oregon) where some old houses were recently torn down. I found this item but we weren't able to identify it. I've always thought it was solid silver but over the years, I now see a copper color gleaming from spots.

We thought it may have been a top to an eyeglass case or something. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Mystery Item bottom.jpg
    Mystery Item bottom.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • Mystery Item top.jpg
    Mystery Item top.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
It is a little big for one, but my first thought was "opium box lid". Late 19th C.

Monogrammed, too. Nice!

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Very Cool Case....The only thing to me that stands out is that Green spot that looks like Oxidation...whats wild is the toning on the front aprt..it looks like a very nice piece

Upvote 0
Many similar silver or plated Chinese export repousse boxes (from the early 1900's) I see out there don't list a specific purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Nhbenz. I googled "Chinese repousse boxe" and it could very well be the top of one.

Upvote 0
Many similar silver or plated Chinese export repousse boxes (from the early 1900's) I see out there don't list a specific purpose.

I just needed Ben to push me in the right direction. I don't think it is a lid at all. More likely the remains of a vanity or dressing table brush. That would explain the monogram as this was a very personal item.

Late 19th to early 20th C.

$T2eC16J,!y!FIc-Ji4MTBScBEChyDw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back