Old Santa Fe NM Wagon Trail Finds

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These finds are from yesterday and last week on the same trail. Although from different sections of the trail. The trail is aprox. 20 miles long. It stretches from south to north toward Santa Fe. The trail is sometimes really wide, with multiple ruts. A lot of it is hard to follow. As the arroyos, and vegetation have taken there toll.
I believe it was used a long time as some of the bullet shells have no stamping on them. Lots of the usual tin and wire pieces. I have only done a few miles of it, and hopefully will do a lot more in the future.
Not sure what some of the pieces are, probably pieces of wagon. An old spur rowel, round balls, a wagon wheel shim are some of the pieces.
Included is pic of my Horseshoe & Relic Tree.
Thanks for looking, and keep swinging:metaldetector:

Upvote 20
Well I think they could be from a horse halter. They could be the bottom dangles. No holes, but if they were on the bottom row they might not have holes. The one could have been from a real ornate head stall. Could explain the large round balls. The Spanish were all around here...
I have what was identified as a crossbow arrow tip. It was also called an Indian dangler. It is made out of copper and was found in Glorieta Canyon where the Spanish had gone. It looks to big to be a shoelace end, like in the article. Also have found what I suspect are old Spanish nails??? in that same area. Thanks for doing that research. So cool... if thats what they are.

Glorieta would be a great place to find a tinkler cone made from a scrap brass kettle. The Pecos Pueblo is not far, and they were definitely part of the Spanish world. The nails are different and almost look like they could be rose head nails which have had the heads flattened. They are definitely not the standard square or wire nail.

I think that lots of the Indian and Spanish relics are very old and fragmentary, and this can make them hard to recognize and identify, especially if there are also 19th century artifacts occurring in the same area.

I'm not a big fan of getting too crazy about Spanish golden treasure and seeing signs everywhere, but you have some solid little bits of evidence which are very intriguing. It's historically very interesting and something that most people never get a chance to see or encounter. Who knows, maybe you will find one of those 16th century bronze buckles somewhere out there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back