Old Santa Fe NM Wagon Trail Finds

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These finds are from yesterday and last week on the same trail. Although from different sections of the trail. The trail is aprox. 20 miles long. It stretches from south to north toward Santa Fe. The trail is sometimes really wide, with multiple ruts. A lot of it is hard to follow. As the arroyos, and vegetation have taken there toll.
I believe it was used a long time as some of the bullet shells have no stamping on them. Lots of the usual tin and wire pieces. I have only done a few miles of it, and hopefully will do a lot more in the future.
Not sure what some of the pieces are, probably pieces of wagon. An old spur rowel, round balls, a wagon wheel shim are some of the pieces.
Included is pic of my Horseshoe & Relic Tree.
Thanks for looking, and keep swinging:metaldetector:

Upvote 20
Congrats on some nice relics. Would be interesting ro follow a trail like that & see what you discover.

I am curious about the decorative pieces in the upper left hand corner with the curved "tails". I feel like I have seen those as attachments on Spanish/ early Mexican horse bridles.

Do you have a definite ID on those?

I am going to Google around about it tonight.

Yes it's quite a bit bent up... Most of the finds on this trail, usually are. Must have seen a lot of traffic.
Glad to share.

Bridle attach! Wow, don't know. That would be something. Things are really old around here. Never found anything like them, before, that's why I saved them.

Google stagecoach stops for that area.Some will popup .I'd hit them,hard :)

Correct. With all due respects for just "wandering old trails/paths", the REAL spots to detect are: Where they stopped for the night , camped, etc....

Correct. With all due respects for just "wandering old trails/paths", the REAL spots to detect are: Where they stopped for the night , camped, etc....

Yeah maybe at some water sources that were along the trail, at the time.

Nice collection of relics. Hopefully you can come across some dropped coins at some point.

I had never heard of an arroyo until I was stationed in New Mexico. :laughing7:

I found some examples: CHICHILTICALE.COM

Scroll down a ways and you will see a picture of a Spanish colonial horse bridal jangles which are very similar.

Tell me what you think.

Scroll down a ways and you will see a picture of a Spanish colonial horse bridle jingles which are very similar.

I think you have some Spanish stuff there.

Tell me what you think.

Nice finds! :occasion14:

I like the horseshoe tree!

Scroll down a ways and you will see a picture of a Spanish colonial horse bridle jingles which are very similar.

I think you have some Spanish stuff there.

Tell me what you think.

Well I think they could be from a horse halter. They could be the bottom dangles. No holes, but if they were on the bottom row they might not have holes. The one could have been from a real ornate head stall. Could explain the large round balls. The Spanish were all around here...
I have what was identified as a crossbow arrow tip. It was also called an Indian dangler. It is made out of copper and was found in Glorieta Canyon where the Spanish had gone. It looks to big to be a shoelace end, like in the article. Also have found what I suspect are old Spanish nails??? in that same area. Thanks for doing that research. So cool... if thats what they are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back