Old rusty knife in handmade leather sheath

bonafideslacker

Greenie
May 20, 2018
PNW
Detector(s) used
A pair of Garrett Ace 300s that I've no idea how to use properly yet, and pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another generational mystery for you ladies and gents of TreasureNet.

A knife among my paternal grandfather's stuff. I know absolutely nothing about it other than popa was the kind of dude who only kept stuff in his Navy trunk that was 'valuable to him', and this is where this blade was from my earliest memories. I'm forty-five now, and it seemed like pop had had it for more than a minute even then.

Anyone wanna give it a shot? Thanks in advance for any wisdom you might have. - Dana

IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg
IMG_3827.jpg

I'm not able to I.D. it for you but looks pretty cool to me. Not sure it comes under Arkansas Toothpick. My Dad was in the Navy in WW2 and carried a homemade knife made from a file by his Uncle who was a blacksmith for the Railroad. I have a couple of them. Most sea sailors carried a knife and most of them were not issue.The knife guys will want a true measurement and if any markings are on it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Very cool knife! Many homemade or theater made knives such as this came on the scene during WWII. There are a great number of variations and if they can be ID'ed to a certain maker can be very valuable. Looks like it may have had a "D" type knuckle guard at one time that broke off. It appears to be a well made knife, it is unfortunate that it picked up some rust over the years. Hopefully someone can give you a positive ID.

Steve

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back